|District (Raioni)||Gori District|
|Time zone||Georgian Time (UTC+4)|
Variani is best known for being the birthplace of Iakob Gogebashvili and the location of the Iakob Gogebashvili House Museum, being a border village to the South Ossetia disputed territory, and being occupied by Russian forces in the 2008 South Ossetia war until 8 October 2008.
In addition to Iakob Gogebashvili, who was born in Variani in 1841, the boxer Georgi Kandelaki who won the 1997 World Amateur Boxing Championships in the Superheavyweight category and competed in the 1996 Summer Olympics, was born on 10 April 1971 in Variani.
- Chivers, C.J. (18 August 2008). "In Battered Villages, Georgians Speak, if They Dare". The New York Times - Europe. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- Flynn, Tom (26 August 2008). "Fog of war obscures state of cultural heritage sites in Georgia". Georgian Daily Independent Voice. Georgian Daily. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- Giorgadze, Nino (31 August 2008). "Beyond Russian Checkpoints". Country: Georgia - Topics: Conflict & War, Displacement, Emergencies. Mercy Corps. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Still No Russian Withdrawal from Akhalgori - Minister". Civil Georgia. Daily News Online. 8 October 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Children's Dream Is to Be World Champions in Boxing". News. IRC-Georgia. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Giorgi K'andelak'i". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com - Athletes. Sports Reference. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
|This Georgia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|