Chopin's Prelude No. 20 in C minor. Rachmaninoff uses only the first 8 bars plus end-chord, and changes the E♭
in the last chord of bar 3 to E♮
Not to be confused with works of the same title by Federico Mompou, Ferruccio Busoni, or Roger Smalley.
Variations on a Theme of Chopin (Russian: Вариации на тему Ф. Шопена, Variatsii na temu F. Shopena), Op. 22, is a group of 22 variations on Frédéric Chopin's Prelude in C minor (Op. 28, No. 20), composed by Sergei Rachmaninoff in 1902-03. In the first edition, it is noted that 3 of the variations and the final Presto section can be omitted if the performer wishes.
- Theme: Largo, 9 bars
- I: Moderato (66 bpm), 8 bars
- II: Allegro (122 bpm), 8 bars
- III: 132bpm, 8 bars
- IV: 132 bpm, 24 bars of 3/4
- V: Meno mosso (92 bpm), 8 bars
- VI: Meno mosso (64 bpm), 12 bars of 6/4
- VII: Allegro (120 bpm), 8 bars (Note: This variation may be omitted)
- VIII: 120 bpm, 8 bars
- IX: 120 bpm, 8 bars
- X: Più vivo (144 bpm), 14 bars (Note: This variation may be omitted)
- XI: Lento (44 bpm), 14 bars of 12/8
- XII: Moderato (60 bpm), 32 bars (Note: This variation may be omitted)
- XIII: Largo (52 bpm), 16 bars
- XIV: Moderato (72 bpm), 24 bars of 4/4 then one bar of 2/4.
- XV: Allegro scherzando (132 bpm), 45 bars of 12/8 in F minor.
- XVI: Lento (54 bpm), 14 bars in F minor.
- XVII: Grave (46 bpm), 18 bars of 3/4 in B♭ minor.
- XVIII: Più mosso, 12 bars in B♭ minor.
- XIX: Allegro vivace, 35 bars in A major.
- XX: Presto (92 dotted minims per minute): 108 bars of 3/4 in A major and C-sharp minor.
- XXI: Andante (60 dotted crotches per minute): 24 bars in D♭ major followed by 29 bars of 3/4 in C major marked Più vivo (100 bpm).
- XXII: Maestoso (100 bpm) 82 bars of 3/4 in C major. Then 9 bars marked Meno mosso. Finally, 19 bars marked Presto. (Note: These final 19 bars may be omitted)
- Morceaux de fantaisie, Op. 3 (includes Prelude in C-sharp minor)
- Morceaux de salon, Op. 10
- Six moments musicaux, Op. 16
- Variations on a Theme of Chopin, Op. 22
- 10 Preludes, Op. 23
- Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 28
- 13 Preludes, Op. 32
- Études-Tableaux, Op. 33
- Piano Sonata No. 2, Op. 36
- Études-Tableaux, Op. 39
- Variations on a Theme of Corelli, Op. 42
- Polka de W.R.