Varkala Beach, also known as Papanasham Beach is a beach situated in Varkala Town of Varkala Municipality in Thiruvananthapuram district, Kerala, India. The beach skirts the Arabian Sea, part of the Indian Ocean.
Varkala beach is the only place in southern Kerala where cliffs are found adjacent to the Arabian Sea. These cliffs are of tertiary sedimentary formation, and named by geologists as Varkala Formation. They are a geological monument as recorded by the Geological Survey of India. Water spouts and spas occur on the sides of these cliffs.
Nearby attractions and activities
Varkala beach has adventure and leisure activities such as boat riding, parasailing, jetting, and horse-riding. There are also restaurants and cafes; alcohol is not served.
Varkala is located at .
- http://www.karthikaplaza.com/varkala.html Archived 2010-03-10 at the Wayback Machine | Details of Varkala
- "Arattu Festival, Janardhana Temple, Varkala, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala - Kerala Tourism". www.keralatourism.org. Archived from the original on 22 January 2018. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "Head Straight to Kerala, God's Own Country, for a Perfect Vacation". thequint.com. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Varkkallai, India". www.fallingrain.com. Archived from the original on 5 February 2018. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "'Fight for something you believe in but don't be a jerk': Uber CEO Travis Kalanick | Gadgets Now". Gadget Now. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Varkala Beach.|
- Varkala Beach photographs and 360° panoramas