Varna International Ballet Competition
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Varna International Ballet Competition is a biennial ballet competition held in Varna, Bulgaria. The competition was founded in 1964 and subsequently held in 1965 and 1966, and then every two years starting in 1968. Many dancers have gained their first international recognition at the competition.
Since the contest is a fierce one lasting half a month, the Varna International Ballet Competition has been called the "olympics of dance".
- 1964 : Vladimir Vasiliev and Ekaterina Maximova (gold medal)
- 1965 : Loipa Araújo (gold medal)
- 1966 : Aurora Bosh (gold medal), Martine van Hamel (gold medal), Mikhail Baryshnikov (gold medal, junior division)
- 1968 : Marta García (gold medal, junior division), Rita Poelvoorde (silver medal)
- 1970 : Rosario Suárez (gold medal, junior division), Eva Evdokimova (gold medal), Gigi Caciuleanu
- 1974 : Tatyana Kapustina (bronze medal)
- 1976 : Patrick Dupond
- 1978 : Élisabeth Platel (silver medal) // René de Cárdenas (best duo, junior division)
- 1980 : Evelyn Hart (gold medal) and David Peregrine (bronze medal) // Karin Averty (Grand Prix; Gold medal, junior division)
- 1983 : Sylvie Guillem
- 1984 : Manuel Legris
- 1988 : Virginie Kempf (gold medal)
- 1992 : Aurélie Dupont, José Carlos Martinez, Yury Yanowsky (gold medal)
- 1994 : Clairemarie Osta (silver Medal), Laetitia Pujol (silver medal)
- 1996 : Rasta Thomas (gold medal, junior)
- 1998 : Zhu Yan (gold Medal) // Chi Cao (gold medal)
- 2000 : Lali Kandelaki (gold medal)
- 2002 : Hélène Bouchet (silver Medal)
- 2004 : Daniil Simkin (gold medal, junior), Yum Yunesava (gold medal, junior), Arman Grigoryan (gold medal, senior), Mathilde Froustey (gold medal, senior)
- 2006 : Aubert Vanderlinden, Ivan Vasiliev
- 2012 : Brooklyn Mack (gold medal) // Denis Cherevichko (gold medal)
- 2014 : Soo Bin Lee (special distinction), Sara Renda (bronze medal)
- 2016 : Amanda Gomes (gold medal) // Paul Marque (gold medal)
- 2018 : António Casalinho (gold medal, junior division), Yuan Zhe Zi Huan (gold medal), Katherine Barkman (silver medal)
- "International Ballet Competitions". Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- Kaufman, Sarah (31 July 2012). "Brooklyn Mack of Washington Ballet wins gold at International Ballet Competition". The Washington Post. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- The Olympics Of Ballet Crowns A New Champion, review by Walter Terry, 8 August 1976, The New York Times.
- The World Famous Stars of IBC – Varna, official site of the IBC.
- Judge, Christine. "Mikhail Baryshnikov's Defection". Mount Holyoke College website. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Dunning, Jennifer (30 July 1983). "3 Americans are winners in international ballet competition". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 October 2013.