He began his studies at The Lawrence School in Sanawar, later transferring to Apeejay School in Jalandhar to complete Class 11 and 12. He obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Media, Entertainment and Film Technology from ITFT Chandigarh.
Sharma started off with commercials for renowned brands like Virgin Mobile, Ebay, Nissan Micra and Airtel. He got his major breakthrough in 2013 with Fukrey. His performance as Chucha won him many awards including Star Guild Awards for Best Performance in a Comic Role and the Zee Cine Awards for Best Actor in a Comic Role. In 2014, he made his debut in Punjabi cinema with Yaaran Da Katchup. Sharma went onto be a part of Dolly Ki Doli, Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon, Dilwale, Raabta and Fukrey Returns. In 2018, he has Fry Day slated for release. He portrays the role of Onida Singh in Arjun Patiala. He will also be seen in Nitesh Tiwari's next.
|Rabba Main Kya Karoon||Gagan|
|2014||Yaaran Da Katchup||Fateh Kingh||Punjabi Film|
|Dolly Ki Doli||Manjot|
|Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon||Karan|
|2019||Arjun Patiala||Onida Singh||Post-Production|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Fukrey||Screen Awards||Best Actor In A Comic Role (Male)||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Most Promising Debut (Male)||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Performance In A Comic Role||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Actor In A Comic Role||Won|
- "Varun Sharma: The biggest victory for any actor is to be known by his on-screen name". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "'Fukrey Returns' posters: Ali Fazal, Richa Chadha, Varun Sharma, Manjot Singh and Pulkit Samrat reveal their characters". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "'Fry Day' poster: The Govinda and Varun Sharma starrer looks like a laugh riot". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Arjun Patiala first look: Diljit Dosanjh, Kriti Sanon and Varun Sharma are ready to tickle your funny bones". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Varun Sharma joins Nitesh Tiwari's next". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Winners of 20th Annual Life OK Screen Awards 2014". Cinebag. Retrieved 2014-01-15.