Vasant Vihar, Delhi
A modern house in Vasant Vihar Block C
|District||South West Delhi|
|• Body||South Delhi Municipal Corporation|
|• Official||Hindi, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||New Delhi|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||R K Puram|
|Civic agency||Municipal Corporation of Delhi|
Vasant Vihar is a posh neighbourhood located in the South West Delhi district of National Capital Territory of Delhi. It is located near the diplomatic area of Chanakyapuri, and houses over 50 diplomatic missions of foreign countries.
It was originally developed in 1960s by retired Government of India officers, later developed as a posh residential locality like Air india And Indian Airlines Colony due to its proximity to diplomatic enclave of Chanakyapuri.
The three main streets in Vasant Vihar are Munirka Marg, Poorvi Marg and Paschimi Marg, literally Eastern and Western Street. These form a rough triangle that encloses much of the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood is primarily residential and when first planned consisted of six blocks named A to F, with each block having its own local market. Apartments in new emerging luxury buildings in Vasant Vihar sell at prices ranging from ₹5 Crore to ₹20 Crore (USD 740,000 to USD 3 million).
Vasant Vihar hosts the diplomatic missions of Argentina, Bahrain, Chile, Columbia, South Africa, Lesotho, South Sudan, Gambia, Somalia and more than three dozen other countries. Several residences of diplomats, whose missions are based at Chanakyapuri, are located in Vasant Vihar.
Vasant Vihar also has schools such as Modern School, Delhi Public School (Junior Branch), The Shri Ram School (Junior Wing), Tagore International School, Guru Harkrishan Public School, Holy Child Auxilium School (Senior branch), Chinmaya Vidyalaya.
The corporate office of Hero MotoCorp, formerly Hero Honda, is at Basant Lok in Vasant Vihar. P.V.R. Cinemas has its origin in Priya Cinema in Vasant Vihar. In 1996, Vasant Vihar witnessed the opening of India's first McDonald's restaurant, it was also the first McDonald's restaurant in the world to not serve beef and pork based products.
- "South West District". Government of Delhi. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "Posh Vasant Vihar in South Delhi stares at epidemic". India Today. September 15, 2015. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "The Anatomy of a Tony Neighbourhood". Forbes India. May 12, 2014. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- Embassy Listings For India Archived June 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi directory. Giri's Information Services. 1999. pp. 246–248.
- Viswambhar Nath; Surinder K. Aggarwal (2007). Urbanization, Urban Development, and Metropolitan Cities in India. Concept Publishing. pp. 222–. ISBN 978-81-8069-412-7.
- City, Society, and Planning: City. Concept Publishing. 2007. pp. 421, 521. ISBN 978-81-8069-459-2.
- "The Anatomy of a Tony Neighbourhood". Forbes India. May 12, 2014. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- A Dream Turns Seventy Five: The Modern School, 1920-1995. Allied Publishers. 1995. pp. 142–. ISBN 978-81-7023-499-9.
|This article related to a location in the Indian state of Delhi is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|