December 29, 1937|
Mathugama, Sri Lanka
|Died||April 8, 2017(aged 79)|
|Notable work||Dadayama, Salelu Warama|
Early life and career
Kala Keerthi Vasantha Obeysekara who was regarded as one of the foremost film makers in the 70 decade graduated from the University of Ceylon in 1962. He served on the Editorial Staff of the Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Limited from 1964 to 1970. In addition to his editorial work, Obeysekera wrote several short stories during this period.
Obeysekera entered the film industry with Sath Samudura in 1967 which he co-wrote and worked on as assistant director; it was Sri Lanka's entry at the Moscow International Film Festival. In 1971 he was awarded a certificate in Cinematography by the Comité de libération du cinéma français.
In the 1970s Obeyskera wrote and directed Ves Gaththo ("Masked Men") (1970), Valmathuwo ("Lost Ones") (1976), Diyamanthi ("Diamond") (1977) and Palangetiyo ("Grasshoppers") (1979). Palangetiyo won the Presidential Film Awards for Best Screenplay, Best Director and Best Film.
1983's Dadayama ("The Hunt") also won the Presidential awards for Best Screenplay, Best Director and Best Film. It was a commercial success as well. Obeyskera made Kedapathaka Chaya ("Reflections on the Mirror") in 1989 after a five-year break.
1990s and 2000s
In the late-'90s, Obeysekera made Maruthaya ("The Storm") (1995), Dorakada Marawa ("Death at the Doorstep") (1998) and Theertha Yathra ("Pilgrimage") (1999). These also secured several OCIC and Presidential Awards.
Salelu Warama ("Web of Love"), Agni Warsha, Aganthukaya, and Sewwandhi were made in the 2000s.
He has directed 13 films across many dramatic genre.
- No. denotes the Number of Sri Lankan film in the Sri Lankan cinema.
|12 December 1970||234||Wesgaththo|
|2 April 1976||339||Walmathwuwo|
|28 May 1976||342||Diyamanthi|
|27 April 1979||417||Palagatiyo|
|20 May 1983||558||Dadayama|
|24 March 1989||687||Kedapathaka Chaya|
|9 June 1995||831||Maruthaya|
|2 December 1998||904||Dorakada Marawa|
|1 October 1999||922||Theertha Yathra|
|17 October 2002||990||Salelu Warama|
|7 April 2005||1048||Asani Warsha|
|7 December 2006||1080||Sewwandi|
|31 May 2007||1087||Aganthukaya|
He died on 08th April 2017 in a private hospital in Colombo.
- "For Vasantha's death - වසන්ත ඔබේසේකරයන් ගේ අභාවය වෙනුවෙන් විශේෂයෙනි". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- "‘Sewwandhi’: Another dramatic twist by Obeysekere". Wijeya Newspapers Ltd. 2006. Retrieved 2007-12-21.
- "Vasantha Obesekara - වසන්ත ඔබේසේකර පන්ති පදනමකින් සමාජය විවරණය කළ සිනමාකරුවා". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- "For Vasantha's death - විජය - රවීන්ද්ර - ස්වර්ණා - සංගීතා හොඳම රඟපෑම් ගෙනාවේ වසන්ත හරහා". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 20 April 2017. zero width joiner character in
|title=at position 38 (help)
- "For Vasantha's death - පත්තර මහ ගෙදරින් සිනමාවට ගිය ආදිවාසියා". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- "Filmography of Vasantha Obeysekara - වසන්ත ඔබේසේකර නිර්මාණය කළ චිත්රපට". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 20 April 2017. zero width joiner character in
|title=at position 68 (help)
- "Sri Lankan Cinema History". National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Veteran film director Wasantha Obeysekara passes away". Ada Derana. 8 April 2017. Retrieved 8 April 2017.