|8th President of Emilia-Romagna|
3 March 1999 – 8 July 2014
|Preceded by||Antonio La Forgia|
|Succeeded by||Stefano Bonaccini|
|President of the Conference of the Regions and Autonomous Provinces|
13 May 2005 – 31 July 2014
|Preceded by||Enzo Ghigo|
|Succeeded by||Sergio Chiamparino|
17 May 1955 |
Massa Lombarda, Italy
|Political party||PCI (1970–1991)
|Alma mater||University of Bologna|
Vasco Errani (born 17 May 1955) is an Italian politician. A member of the Democratic Party (PD), of which he was a founding member in 2007, he has been President of Emilia-Romagna from 1999 to 2014, being the longest-serving one of all time. Errani is one of the longest-serving governors in the history of the Italian Republic.
Early political career
Errani started his political career in Ravenna in the late 1970s by joining the Italian Communist Party (PCI), which evolved as the Democratic Party of the Left (PDS) in 1991 and the Democrats of the Left (DS) in 1998. In this capacity he was municipal councillor in Ravenna from 1983 through 1995, when he was first elected to the Legislative Assembly of Emilia-Romagna and co-opted in the Regional Government as under-secretary to the Presidency. In 1997 he was appointed regional minister of Tourism.
President of Emilia-Romagna
On 3 March 1999, he was elected President of the Region by the Legislative Assembly.
In 2000, when the first direct election took place, Errani was overwhelmingly elected President with 56.5% of the vote. In 2005 he was re-elected by a landslide 62.7% of the vote against the 35.2% of his closest opponent.
Errani was chosen as president of the State–Regions Conference by fellow presidents in 2005, after having been its deputy in 2000–2005. In the 2010 regional elections the centre-left lost its majority in the Conference and Roberto Formigoni, longtime President of Lombardy, claimed the post. However, Errani was re-elected thanks to the decisive support of Lega Nord.
On 8 July 2014 Errani resigned as President of Emilia-Romagna after a to one year of imprisonment for the Terremerse scandal.
Special Commissioner for the earthquakes
2012 Emilia earthquakes
In May 2012, two major earthquakes occurred in Emilia-Romagna, causing 27 deaths and widespread damage. Errani was nominated Special Commissioner for the reconstruction, by the Prime Minister Monti and the chief the Protezione Civile Franco Gabrielli.
2016 Central Italy earthquakes
On 24 August 2016, an earthquake measuring 6.2 on the moment magnitude scale struck Central Italy. The epicentre was close to Accumoli, in an area near the borders of the Umbria, Lazio, Abruzzo and Marche regions. The earthquake killed 299 people and left more than 4,500 homeless.
In 2012, Vasco Errani ends under investigation, because the cooperative "Terremerse", owned by his brother, received a financing of one million Euro for the construction of a factory farm, by the Region Emilia-Romagna. Errani is under investigation for fraudulent misrepresentation: the impeachment is of having provided misleading information to the investigating magistrate. On 8 November 2012 Errani was acquitted and declared innocent because the fact was not.
On 8 July 2014 Errani was sentenced to one year of imprisonment by the Court of Appeal together with regional officials Terzini and Mazzotti, who were sentenced to one year and two months. Following this condemnation resigns as president of the region. On 21 June 2016 he was definitively acquitted by the Court of Appeal of Bologna.
- "I componenti del comitato per il Partito Democratico". Milan: Il Sole 24 Ore. 23 May 2007.
- Legislative Assembly of Emilia-Romagna – History of Legislatures
- Emilia-Romagna Region – Biography of Vasco Errani, President
- Ministry of the Interior – 2000 regional election in Emilia-Romagna
- Ministry of the Interior – 2005 regional election in Emilia-Romagna
- Ministry of the Interior – 2010 regional election in Emilia-Romagna
- Cremonesi, Marco (27 May 2010). "Stato-Regioni, asse Lega-Pd per Errani". Milan: Corriere della Sera.
- "Conferenza Stato-Regioni Errani verso la riconferma". Milan: Corriere della Sera. 27 May 2010.
- "Errani confermato presidente della conferenza delle regioni". Bologna: Il Resto del Carlino. 27 May 2010.
- "L'Italia che affonda :: Il pane e le rose - classe capitale e partito". www.pane-rose.it. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- Terremoto, Vasco Errani Commissario per la ricostruzione: “Primo impegno la trasparenza”
- Vasco Errani condannato a un anno
- Terremerse, Errani assolto nell’appello bis: era accusato di falso ideologico. “Ho pagato un prezzo altissimo”