Vasco da Gama Tower
|Vasco da Gama Tower|
Vasco da Gama Tower
145 m (476 ft) (tower)|
72 m (236 ft) (hotel)
|Design and construction|
The Vasco da Gama Tower (Portuguese: Torre Vasco da Gama, pronounced [ˈtoʁ(ɨ) ˈvaʃku dɐ ˈɡɐmɐ]) is a 145-metre (476 ft) lattice tower with skyscraper in the civil parish of Parque das Nações, the municipality of Lisbon, in Portugal. Built on the north bank of the Tagus river, it is named after the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama (the first European to arrive in India by sail, in 1498).
While they were open, the tower was the tallest structure in Portugal open to the public (excluding bridges).
The base of the building was to be leased for office space after the closing of the Expo, but never found tenants. Instead, it was used for one-off events, like the world premiere of the new Mini car in 2001.
Both the observation deck and the restaurant were closed in October 2004.
Parque Expo received permission to expand along the riverside in order construct a 20-floor, 178-room luxury hotel, a plan by Portuguese architect Nuno Leónidas. The base of the tower was demolished between July and September 2007, for the construction of the hotel, which was started in October 2007. The Myriad Hotel was managed by the Portuguese Sana Hotels. The use of the observation deck and the panoramic restaurant resumed via access along the panoramic elevators.
The architects were inspired by the form of caravel and its sail, supported by fundamental volumes at its base. This base, enters the river like the bow of the boat, supported by pillars forming a terrace. This area is occupied by exposition spaces and vestibule with access to panoramic elevators that intersperse the tower to the restaurant and viewing platform. The tower is defined by a vertical "mast" and a metallic, tubular "sail", surmounted by a 120-metre (390 ft) platform forming a "crow's nest", corresponding to the rotating restaurant and visitors viewing area.
- List of tallest buildings in Lisbon
- Trump Ocean Club Hotel and Tower, skyscraper of similar appearance in Panama City, Panama (sail)
- W Barcelona, skyscraper of similar appearance in Barcelona, Spain (sail)
- Spinnaker Tower, skyscraper of similar appearance in Portsmouth, United Kingdom (sail)
- Burj Al Arab, skyscraper of similar appearance in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (sail)
- Elite Plaza Business Center, skyscraper of similar appearance in Yerevan, Armenia (sail)
- Vasco da Gama Tower – emporis.com
- Vasco da Gama Hotel – emporis.com
- Vasco da Gama Hotel – skyscraperpage.com
- Bandeira, Filomena (2001), SIPA, ed., Torre Vasco da Gama / Torre Panorâmica (IPA.00009902/PT031106330621) (in Portuguese), Lisbon, Portugal: SIPA – Sistema de Informação para o Património Arquitectónico, retrieved 31 August 2017
- "Factoría Urbana: Ciudades y arquitectura". Archived from the original on 2016-07-31. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- Video of the base building being demolished, and preview of future hotel.
- Villalobos, Bárbara; Castro, Alexandra (1996), Lisbon EXPO 98 - Projects, Lisbon, Portugal: Editorial Blau
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vasco da Gama Tower.|
- Vasco da Gama Tower Hotel
- Vasco da Gama Tower at Structurae
- Vasco da Gama Tower at Factoría Urbana: Photos and technical information (in Spanish)