Vashon Municipal Airport
|Vashon Municipal Airport|
|Owner/Operator||King County Airport District #1|
|Location||Vashon Island, Washington, USA|
|Elevation AMSL||316 ft / 96 m|
Vashon Municipal Airport is a municipal airport on Vashon Island in King County, Washington, United States. The airport is unique in being one of the few public airports in Washington State with only a grass runway. Other state-owned public grass-only runway airports exist in Washington, but these are actually more accurately landing strips, as they are not equipped with hangars.
Facilities and aircraft
Vashon Municipal Airport covers an area of 20 acres (8.1 ha) at an elevation of 316 feet (96 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway and one helipad, both with turf surfaces: 17/35 is 2,001 by 60 feet (610 m × 18 m) and H1 is 98 by 98 feet (30 m × 30 m). The airport contains a sculpture commemorating a 1968 UFO sighting.
For the 12-month period ending September 1, 2009, the airport had 10,020 aircraft operations, an average of 27 per day: 99.8% general aviation and 0.2% air taxi. At that time there were 34 aircraft based at this airport: 91% single-engine and 9% ultralight.
Commercial air service
Vashon Island Air provides FAA Part 135 Air Charter Service on the island.
- FAA Airport Master Record for 2S1 ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 25 August 2011.
- Airport Reference Guide (PDF), Washington State Department of Transportation, retrieved 14 July 2001
- Leslie Brown (Jun 24, 2009), Stormy weather hits Vashon's quiet airport, Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber
- WSDOT Managed Airports, Nov 28, 2022 Check date values in:
- Jon Hahn (Nov 27, 2002), Welcome mat is out for UFO at the Vashon 'spaceport', Seattle Post Intelligencer