From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vasily Afonin also participated in the Winter War of 1939-1940.
Retiring at the rank of lieutenant-colonel, Afonin was officially credited with 14 personal and 3 shared victories in the air (or 11 personal and 2 shared victories):
|Date||Planes shot||Enemy plane||Place|
|18.07.1943||1||Ju 87||to the west of Medvedki|
|18.07.1943||1/2||Fw 190||to the east of Medvedki|
|18.07.1943||1||Fw 190||south-western outskirts of Syzenka|
|12.08.1943||1||Fw 190||to the west of Upper Pesochnya|
|12.08.1943||1||Fw 190||Lubenka airfield|
|13.08.1943||1||Ju 87||Upper Pesochnya|
|14.08.1943||1||Ju 87||Upper Pesochnya|
|17.07.1944||1/2||Fw 190||to the north-west of Grodno|
|14.10.1944||1||Fw 190||to the west of Makuv|
Honours and awards
- Hero of the Russian Federation (2 May 1996)
- Order of the Red Banner, three times (16 January 1943, 21 July 1943, 12 July 1944)
- Order of the Patriotic War;
- 1st Class (27 August 1943)
- 2nd Class, twice (15 January 1945, 3 November 1985)
- Medal for Combat Service
- Jubilee Medal "In Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary since the Birth of Vladimir Il'ich Lenin"
- Medal "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945"
- Jubilee Medal "Twenty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Jubilee Medal "Thirty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Jubilee Medal "Forty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Jubilee Medal "50 Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Medal "For the Capture of Berlin"
- Jubilee Medal "30 Years of the Soviet Army and Navy"
- Jubilee Medal "50 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "60 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "70 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- "Асы Великой Отечественной. Самые результативные летчики 1941-1945 гг." ("Aces of the Great Patriotic War. Pilots of 1941-1945 with top results"), by Mikhail Bykov, 2007
- Corrections done to the previously listed book
|This biographical article related to the Russian military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|