Vaughan City Council
|Regional Councillor/Deputy Mayor||Michael Di Biase||At-large|
|Regional Councillor||Mario Ferri||At-large|
|Regional Councillor||Gino Rosati||At-large|
|Ward 1||Marilyn Iafrate||Maple/Kleinburg|
|Ward 2||Tony Carella||Woodbridge West|
|Ward 3||Rosanna DeFrancesca||Woodbridge / Vellore|
|Ward 4||Sandra Yeung Racco||Concord/Thornhill North|
|Ward 5||Alan Shefman||Thornhill|
2010 - 2014 council
- Mayor: Maurizio Bevilacqua
- Regional Councillor: Gino Rosati
- Regional Councillor/Deputy Mayor: Michael Di Biase
- Regional Councillor: Deb Schulte
- Ward 1 (Maple/Kleinburg): Marilyn Iafrate
- Ward 2 (Woodbridge West): Tony Carella
- Ward 3 (Woodbridge / Vellore): Rosanna DeFrancesca
- Ward 4 (Concord/Thornhill North): Sandra Yeung Racco
- Ward 5 (Thornhill): Alan Shefman
On 13 November 2006, Vaughan's municipal elections were held for City Council. In the elections, Regional Councilor Linda Jackson became mayor, Gino Rosati became a Regional Councilor, and Joyce Frustaglio, having received the most votes of all regional council candidates, becomes Acting Mayor. Following amendments to the Ontario Municipalities Act, the next elections will be held four years from this date (elections were previously held every three years).
Following the November 2006 election, former mayor Michael Di Biase appealed the results of the elections citing possible errors in the ballot counting machines. The results were reviewed following a decision in his favour in Ontario Superior Court, concluding that the original result, the election of Jackson as mayor, was the correct one.
The head of City Council is the Mayor. A list of mayors and reeves of Vaughan includes:
- Maurizio Bevilacqua, 2010–present
- Linda Jackson, 2006–2010
- Michael Di Biase, 2002–2006
- Lorna Jackson, 1982–2002 (Town Mayor 1982–1991 and City Mayor 1991–2002)
- Garnett Williams, 1971–1982
- Peter Patterson 1868–1871
- John Gamble 1850– first reeve of the Township
The position of Deputy Mayor (earlier called Acting Mayor) is based on the councillor receiving the greatest number of votes in a municipal election, and has included:
- Michael Di Biase, 2014-present
- Gino Rosati, 2010–2014
- Joyce Frustaglio, 2006–2010
- Mario Ferri, 2003–2006
- City of Vaughan | City Council | 2010–2014, City of Vaughan website. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Ex-MP Bevilacqua new Vaughan mayor". CBC News. 25 October 2010. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Singing the same old song". Toronto Star. 2006-05-20. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
- Varley, Roger. "Communication Policy 'Attempt To Control Media'", Richmond Hill, ON: The Liberal", 1 February 2004. p. 1.
- Gray, Jeff. "Vaughan Vote Stokes Tempers", The Globe & Mail, 23 November 2006, p. A.18.
|This Canadian politics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|