||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Oorkkadavu Bridge, Vazhakkad
|• Member of Parlement||E. Ahamed|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Malappuram|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kondotty|
Vazhakkad is a village located on the bank of River Chaliyar Kondotty Thaluk, Malappuram district, state of Kerala, India. East and some north part of Vazhakkad bordering with River Chaliyar, South Cheakode and Pulikkal Panchayaths and West Vazhayur Grama Panchayath. The nearest town is Edavannappara three kilometers away.
- Govt. Higher Secondary School, Vazhakkad
- Technical Higher Secondary School, Vazhakkad
- Karunya Bhavan Handicapped School, Vazhakkad
- Karunya Bhavan Higher Secondary School, Vazhakkad
- Koyappathodi Daarul Uloom English Medium Schools, Vazhakkad
- Jalaliyya English Schools, Vazhakkad
- BACE English School, Vazhakkad
- Darul Uloom Arabic College, Vazhakkad
- IHRD Applied Science College, Vazhakkad
- Govt. U P School, Vazhakkad
- RKAM LP School chakkumpoolakkal
- MIAM U P school cheruvattoor
- MES Academy vazhakkad
- Ashi Hospital - Edavannappara
- Vazhakkad Health center
- AL-NOOR Hospital, Vazhakkad
- Govt. Veterinary Clinic, Mundumuzhi
- Fathima dental hospital vazhakkad
- K A Rahman - Legend of the Chaliyar -, K A Rahman died January 11, 1999, popularly known as Adhrayi or Adhrehyaka, was Founder leader of the Chaliyar Agitation. K A Rahman, president of Vazhakkad Grama Panchayat, - Winner of Bhoomi Mithra Award - was the rallying point of the Chaliyar agitators since the beginning. This movement is a success story of a people’s environmental movement in the state - perhaps the only one- for the fight against river pollution in this land of rivers continues in other parts of the state.
- E. T. Mohammed Basheer, E.T.B is now a member of the 15th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Ponnani constituency of Kerala and was the Education Minister in the UDF Government, headed by Oommen Chandy. Also he was State Education Minister during 1991-96. He was elected to Kerala Assembly in 1985 (by-election ), 1991, 1996 and 2001 but was defeated in 2006 Kerala Assembly General Election. Entered politics through M.S.F. later actively engaged in Trade Union field and became State Secretary of S.T.U., worked as President of various trade unions affiliated to STU.
- Elamaram Kareem, Former Minister of Industries, Kerala.
- T Arifali, Asst. Emir of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind.
- Kanniyath Ahmed Musliyar, former president of Samastha Kerala Jamiyyathul Ulama and a great Islamic scholar, more than five lakhs people gathered for pray when ustad died 1993 at vazhakkad.
- musthafa hudavi akkod
Vazhakkad village is as predominantly Muslim populated area. Hindus are exist in comparatively smaller numbers So the culture of the locality is based upon Muslim traditions. Duff Muttu, Kolkali and Aravanamuttu are common folk arts of this locality. There are many libraries attached to mosques giving a rich source of Islamic studies. Some of the books are written in Arabi-Malayalam which is a version of the Malayalam language written in Arabic script. People gather in mosques for the evening prayer and continue to sit there after the prayers discussing social and cultural issues.
Business and family issues are also sorted out during these evening meetings. The Hindu minority of this area keeps their rich traditions by celebrating various festivals in their temples. Hindu rituals are done here with a regular devotion like other parts of Kerala.
Vazhakkad village connects to other parts of India through Feroke town on the west and Nilambur town on the east. National highway No.66 passes through Chungam Junction and the northern stretch connects to Goa and Mumbai. The southern stretch connects to Cochin and Trivandrum. State Highway No.28 starts from Nilambur and connects to Ooty, Mysore and Bangalore through Highways.12, 29 and 181. The nearest airport is at Kozhikode. The nearest major railway station is at Feroke.
vazhakkad panjayath in 18 wards
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vazhakkad.|