|• Body||Manjalloor Panchayath|
|Elevation||22 m (72 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Muvattupuzha, Thodupuzha, Kothamangalam|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Idukki|
|Civic agency||Manjalloor Panchayath|
Vazhakulam lies east of the town of Muvattupuzha in Ernakulam district on the Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha road in Kerala, India. This town is famously known as Pineapple City due to large-scale cultivation of pineapple. The town is the largest Asian pineapple market. Kerala Agricultural University established a Pineapple Research Station at Vazhakulam in 1995 to give research support to pineapple farmers. The pineapples cultivated in Vazhakulam has been credited with geographic indication. Today Vazhakulam pineapples are marketed as GI tagged products. Vazhakulam is part of Muvattupuzha Taluk Rice used to be the main crop of this area in the 1960s and 1970s, but the advent of rubber cultivation saw many rice fields and estates being turned into rubber plantations.
Many Hindu families have also made this place their home. Among the famous Hindu temples in this area are the Lord Subramanya temple, Vallikkada Bhagavathi temple and Pudussery Kalari Bhagavathi temple located at Avoli.
- Viswajyothi College of Engineering and Technology, Vazhakulam
- St. George College, Vazhakulam
- Chavara International Academy, Vazhakulam
- Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam
- Infant Jesus High School, Vazhakulam
- St. Little Theresas Girls High School, Vazhakulam
- St. George's TTI, Vazhakulam
- St. Reetha's L.P. School, Theakkumala
- St. Thomas School, Vengachuvadu
- The Bethlehem International Vazhakulam
- Vimalamatha High School Kadalikkad
- St. Sebastian's HS, Memadangu
- Govt. L P School, Neerampuzha
- Govt. L P School, Maniyantharam
- St. George's Hospital Vazhakulam
- Govt. Hospital Vazhakulam
- St. George Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church
- Carmel Monastery
- Holy Family Church Bethleham
- Zion Gospel Church & Ministries, Vazhakulam
- Lord Subramanya temple
- Vallikkada Bhagavathi temple
- Pudussery Kalari Bhagavathi temple located at Avoli
- Sree Dharma Sastha Temple Mangalloor
- Bhagavathi Temple Kalloorkad
- Canara Bank, Vazhakulam
- Federal Bank
- State Bank Of India
- South Indian Bank
- North Malabar Gramin Bank
Volley Ball Vazhakulam has a great Volley Ball culture. This town contributed many good players to the Indian volleyball. All the volleyball interests in this town is related to St. George's Volley Ball Club, Vazhakulam.
Places in and around Vazhakulam
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vazhakulam.|
- "Kerala pineapple farmers look to Sri Lanka - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Viswajyothi College of Engineering and Technology". vjcet.ac.in. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Chavara International Academy". chavarainternational.com. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam". carmelpublicschool.com. Retrieved 27 September 2015.