|Industry||Financial services, Investment management|
|Headquarters||One Market Plaza
San Francisco, California
|Total assets||$2 billion|
Number of employees
Vector Capital is a private equity firm focused on value-oriented investments in technology companies. The firm invests across a range of situations including acquisitions of private companies, spinouts of non-core businesses from corporations, leveraged recapitalizations, pipes as well as public-to-private buyouts.
The firm, which is based in San Francisco, was founded in 1997. The firm has raised approximately $2 billion since inception across four funds. Vector is currently investing out of Vector Capital IV, a $1.2 billion investment fund raised in 2007.
Vector Capital traces its origins to 1997, when the team, led by Alex Slusky, completed a spinoff from Ziff Brothers Investments. The Vector team had begun making investments in the 1990s with financial support from the Ziff family, founders of Ziff Davis Media. William Ziff's sons Dirk, Robert, and Daniel manage the family's investments through Ziff Brothers Investments. Slusky led the technology equity practice at Ziff Brothers Investments, managing a portfolio of public and private technology investments. Slusky had previously been a venture capitalist at New Enterprise Associates.
Vector has historically raised for its funds from a variety of institutional investors including university endowments, foundations, financial institutions, and wealthy families.
Among the firm's most notable investments are Aladdin Knowledge Systems, Collabnet, Corel, Gerber Scientific, LANDesk, Register.com, SafeNet, Savi Technology, Technicolor SA, WatchGuard and WinZip.
- Vector Capital IV closes on $1.2bn. AltAssets, July 18, 2007
- Alex Slusky - MBA 1992. Harvard Business School
- Lewis, Michael. The new new thing: a Silicon Valley story. W. W. Norton & Company, 2000 p. 80
- Vector Takes Aladdin in $160 Million Deal. New York Times, January 13, 2009
- Vector Capital Makes Controlling Investment In CollabNet Developer Platform Techcrunch, January 31, 2014
- Corel Says Takeover Needed to Prevent Collapse. New York Times, November 24, 2009
- Gerber Scientific Consents to Private Equity Buyout Offer of $281M. Fox Business, June 13, 2011
- Vector Capital Buys Into Technicolor. Deadline.com, June 21, 2012
- Vector Capital (company website)