The world of the Loriki is one of many small kingdoms—Ahir, Rajput, and aboriginal—vying for cattle, land, women and power. The Ahir stand equal to the "twice-born" warrior castes, where marriage by capture is the norm, and expressions of strength, bravery, loyalty, nobility, and honor are valued. Like many other epic traditions, it depicts the life of a tragic hero (Lorik). Episodes of the Loriki are localized in the various regions that know the epic, and it is viewed—especially by rural Ahir—as a caste history to which many of their distinctive customs can be traced. Lorik is seen as an historical hero of great stature and the Ahirs' most illustrious ancestor.
Significance in Hindi Literature
The Lorik and Chanda tales hold significance in Hindi folk literature. There is record of the story of Lorik and Chanda from the early 14th century. In writing the first Hindavi verse romance, the Chandayan, Maulana Daud adapted the Ahir Folk-epic of Lorik and Chanda into a distinctive Sufi story in 1379. The maulana believed that the whole of the Chandayan was divine truth and that it was compatible with interpretations of some verses of the Quran.
- Veer Lorik stadium, Ballia
- Veer Lorik Statue, Bahedi (Darbhanga)
- Veer Lorik Sughar Mahavidyalaya Vigah, Charauwa, Ballia Uttar Pradesh
- It is propsed that the upcoming University at Baliya be named after Veer Lorik and a statue of the hero of historical and cultural importance be erected at Turtipar four way.
- Veer Lorik Intermediate College, Dhureshwari Dham, Gosaipur Mohan, Varanasi
- In 1970, a private militia named "Lorik Sena" was also established in Lorik's name.
- William Crooke. Introduction to the Popular Religion and Folklore of Northern India. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- Traditions of heroic and epic poetry. 1969-12-04. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- Manorma Sharma. Folk India: A Comprehenseive Study of Indian Folk Music and Culture. p. 32. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "Culture and Power in Banaras". Publishing.cdlib.org. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- J. C. Heesterman. India and Indonesia: General Perspectives. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- Ronald Stuart McGregor (1984). Hindi Literature from Its Beginnings to the Nineteenth Century. Otto Harrassowitz Verlag. p. 14. ISBN 9783447024136.
- Meenakshi Khanna (2007). Cultural History of Medieval India. Berghahn Books,. p. 176. ISBN 9788187358305. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "SM-1: स्नातकोत्तर पाठयक्रम". sol.du.ac.in. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- J. C. Heesterman (1989). India and Indonesia: General Perspectives Volume 4 of Comparative history of India and Indonesia. BRILL. p. 39. ISBN 9789004083653.
- "Upsports.gov.in | Official Website of Department of Sports, Uttar Pradesh | Stadiums". Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "नंदकिशोर ने वीर लोरिक की प्रतिमा का किया अनावरण". Prabhat Khabar (daily). Prabhat Khabar. Prabhat Khabar. 13 May 2015. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Veer Lorik ke naam par ho vishwavidyalaya ka namkaran". Jagaran.com. Jagaran. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "वीर लोरिक के नाम से बने विश्वविद्यालय" (daily). amarujala.com. Amar Ujala. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "वीर लोरिक के नाम पर हो विवि का नामकरण". raftar. raftaar.in. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- India. Supreme Court. Indian Factories and Labour Reports, Volume 105. Law Publishing House. pp. 74, 75. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Smita Tewari Jassal (2012). Unearthing Gender: Folksongs of North India. Duke University Press. p. 267. ISBN 9780822351306. Retrieved 24 March 2016.