Veeravalli S. Varadarajan
Veeravalli S. Varadarajan
|Born||May 1937(age 81)|
|Alma mater||Presidency College, Madras|
Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata
|Known for||Trombi–Varadarajan theorem|
|Institutions||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Doctoral advisor||C. R. Rao|
Veeravalli S. Varadarajan (born May 1937) is an Indian mathematician at University of California, Los Angeles who has worked in many areas of mathematics, including Lie groups and their representations, quantum mechanics, differential equations, and supersymmetry.
Varadarajan received his undergraduate degree in 1957 from Presidency College, Madras and his doctorate in 1960 from the Indian Statistical Institute in Calcutta, under the supervision of C. R. Rao. He was one of the "famous four" (the others were R. Ranga Rao, K. R. Parthasarathy, and S. R. Srinivasa Varadhan ) in Indian Statistical Institute during 1956-1963. After short periods at the Institute for Advanced Study and the University of Washington, Seattle he joined the Department of Mathematics at UCLA in 1965.
Varadarajan's early work, including his doctoral thesis, was in the area of probability theory. He then moved into representation theory where he has done some of his best known work. In the 1980s, he wrote a series of papers with Donald Babbitt on the theory of differential equations with irregular singularities. His latest work has been in supersymmetry.
He introduced Kostant–Parthasarathy–Ranga Rao–Varadarajan determinants along with Bertram Kostant, K. R. Parthasarathy and R. Ranga Rao in 1967, the Trombi–Varadarajan theorem in 1972 and the Enright–Varadarajan modules in 1975.
He was awarded the Onsager Medal in 1998 for his work. He was recognized along with 23 Indian and Indian American members "who have made outstanding contributions to the creation, exposition advancement, communication, and utilization of mathematics" by the Fellows of the American Mathematical Society program in 1 November 2012.
- Varadarajan, V. S. (1984), Lie groups, Lie algebras, and their representations, Springer Verlag, ISBN 978-0387909691; 1st edition. 1974.
- Varadarajan, V. S. (1977), Harmonic analysis on real reductive groups, Springer-Verlag
- Gangolli, Ramesh; Varadarajan, V. S. (1983), Harmonic analysis of spherical functions on real reductive groups, Springer-Verlag
- Varadarajan, V. S. (1999), An Introduction to Harmonic Analysis on Semisimple Lie Groups, Cambridge University Press; 1st edition. 1989.
- Varadarajan, V. S. (1999), The selected works of V. S. Varadarajan, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-1068-2, MR 1647109
- Varadarajan, Veeravalli S. Supersymmetry for mathematicians: an introduction. Vol. 11. American Mathematical Society, 2004.
- Varadarajan, Veeravalli S. Geometry of quantum theory. Springer Science+Business Media, 2007.
- Ferrara, Sergio; Fioresi, Rita; Varadarajan, Veeravalli S. (2011). Supersymmetry in Mathematics and Physics: UCLA Los Angeles, USA 2010. Springer Verlag. doi:10.10007/978-3-642-21744-9. ISBN 978-3-642-21743-2. LCCN 2011934804.
- Varadarajan, V. S. (2006). Euler Through Time: A New Look at Old Themes. American Mathematical Society. ISBN 9780821835807.
- Sinha, Kalyan Bidhan; Bhat, B. V. Rajarama. "Veeravalli S. Varadarajan" (PDF). Louisiana State University.
- Parthasarathy, K. R.; Rao, R. Ranga; Varadarajan, V. S. (1967). "Representations of complex semi-simple Lie groups and Lie algebras". Annals of Mathematics. 85 (3): 383–429. doi:10.2307/1970351.
- Trombi, P. C.; Varadarajan, V. S. (1972). "Asymptotic behaviour of eigen functions on a semisimple Lie group: The discrete spectrum". Acta Mathematica. 129 (1): 237–280. doi:10.1007/bf02392217.
- Enright, Thomas J.; Varadarajan, V. S. (1975). "On an infinitesimal characterization of the discrete series". Annals of Mathematics. 102 (1): 1–15. doi:10.2307/1970970.
- "American Mathematical Society Honors 23 Indians". Nov 1, 2012. India-West. Archived from the original on 23 December 2012. Retrieved 19 December 2012.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)
- Knapp, A. W. (1975). "Review: Lie groups, Lie algebras, and their representations, by V. S. Varadarajan; and Compact Lie groups and their representations, by D. P. Želobenko" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 81 (5): 865–872. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1975-13866-3.
- Herb, Rebecca A. (1979). "Review: Harmonic analysis on real reductive groups, by V. S. Varadarajan" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 1 (2): 398–401. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1979-14614-7.
- Barbasch, D. (1990). "Review: Harmonic analysis of spherical functions on real reductive groups, by R. Gangolli and V. S. Varadarajan" (PDF). Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. (N.S.). 23 (2): 598–604. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1990-15996-8.
- Wolf, Joseph A. (1993). "Review: An introduction to harmonic analysis on semisimple Lie groups, by V. S. Varadarjan" (PDF). Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. (N.S.). 28 (2): 367–370. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1993-00365-3.
- Roy, Ranjan (2008-01-01). "Review of Euler Through Time: A New Look at Old Themes". The American Mathematical Monthly. 115 (5): 469–473. JSTOR 27642523.