|Veery range Breeding range Wintering range|
The Veery (Catharus fuscescens) is a small North American thrush species, a member of a group of closely related and similar species in the genus Catharus, also including the Gray-cheeked Thrush (C. minimus) and Bicknell's Thrush (C. bicknelli).
This species measures 16–19.5 cm (6.3–7.7 in) in length. Its mass is 26–39 g (0.92–1.38 oz), exceptionally up to 54 g (1.9 oz). The wingspan averages 28.5 cm (11.2 in). Each wing measures 8.9–10.4 cm (3.5–4.1 in), the bill measures 1.2–1.9 cm (0.47–0.75 in) and the tarsus is 2.7–3.25 cm (1.06–1.28 in). The Veery shows the characteristic underwing stripe of Catharus thrushes. Adults are mainly light brown on the upperparts. The underparts are white; the breast is light tawny with faint brownish spots. Veeries have pink legs and a poorly defined eye ring. Birds in the eastern portions of the species' breeding range are more cinnamon on the upperparts; western birds are more olive-brown. In the east, the Veery is distinguished easily by its coloration; distinguishing western Veerys from other Catharus thrushes is more difficult.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
This bird has a breezy, downward-spiralling, flute-like song, often given from a low and concealed perch. The most common call is a harsh, descending vee-er, which gave the bird its name.
They forage on the forest floor, flipping leaves to uncover insects; they may fly up to catch insects in flight. They mainly eat insects and berries.
They make a cup nest on the ground or near the base of a shrub. This bird has been displaced in some parts of its range by the related Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina). Veeries are occasional hosts for the eggs of Brown-headed Cowbirds (Molothrus ater).
- Winker, Kevin & Pruett, Christin L. (2006): Seasonal migration, speciation, and morphological convergence in the avian genus Catharus (Turdidae). Auk 123(4): 1052-1068. [Article in English with Spanish abstract] DOI: 10.1642/0004-8038(2006)123[1052:SMSAMC]2.0.CO;2 PDF fulltext
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Veery.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Catharus fuscescens|
- Veery - Catharus fuscescens - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- Veery Species Account - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Veery - Catharus fuscescens - photo with audio clip at eNature.com
- Veery videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Veery photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)