The Vegan Society
|Method||Information, support, campaigns|
|4,000 (in 1988 and 2005)|
|Slogan||Promoting ways of living free from animal products for the benefit of people, animals and the environment.|
|Vegan Trademark for the labelling of vegan products|
|Effective region||United Kingdom|
|Effective since||27 February 1990|
|Legal status||Recognized by the consumers|
Watson coined the word "vegan" to stand for "non-dairy vegetarians" who also ate no eggs. The founding of The Vegan Society is celebrated annually on November 1st, World Vegan Day. The day was established in 1994 by Louise Wallis, the then President and Chair. However, the founding of The Vegan Society is thought to have been either the 5th or 12th November, 1944.
The Society now defines veganism as "...a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose."
- Information – The Vegan Society provides information on all aspects of vegan living on their website, from their popular nutritional pages such as Vitamin B12: your key facts to the how and why of going vegan, to lifestyle articles and blogs. Their 30 Day Vegan Pledge has been running since 2008, each day providing a recipe, tips and advice on going vegan. The Vegan Society also offer tools for activists such as free leaflets, as well as advice on effective outreach.
- Campaigns - The Vegan Society campaigns on various issues. Current campaigns involve improving hospital catering and their 'Grow Green' campaign, whereby farmers are incentivised to move from animal farming towards plant protein crops.
- Support – The Vegan Society provides support via its UK network of local contacts as well as a free email-in service.
- Registers vegan products with its Vegan Trademark – ensures all products and its derivatives that are registered are free from animal ingredients and testing. The Vegan Society defines 'animal' as all vertebrates and invertebrates, meaning its animal testing policy does not exclude insects, water fleas or any other creature.
- Publishes The Vegan – a quarterly magazine sent free to members.
Movement for Compassionate Living
- Debra Blake Weisenthal, Powers in the Western world. How do they match up to one other?. Vegetarian Times, December 1988, pp25. Seen on 10 March 2015
- "Health | Obituary: Donald Watson". BBC News. 2005-11-18. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Vegetarians in Paradise/Donald Watson/Vegan Society/24 Carrot Vegetarian Award". Vegparadise.com. 2004-08-11. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "A Cruelty Free Vegan-Friendly Rock N' Roll Website". Save A Scream. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Calvert, Samantha (31 October 2014). "Ripened by human determination: 70 years of The Vegan Society" (PDF). The Vegan Society. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
-  Archived July 23, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Vegan Trademark standards". The Vegan Society. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "Vegan Views 96 - Kathleen Jannaway 1915-2003: A Life Well Lived". Veganviews.org.uk. 2003-01-26. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
-  Archived March 5, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.