Vegetable soup is prepared using vegetables and leaf vegetables as main ingredients. Some fruits can also be used, such as tomato, squash, and others. Vegetable soup can be prepared as a stock- or cream-based soup. Basic ingredients in addition to vegetables can include beans, tofu, noodles and pasta, vegetable broth or stock, milk, cream, water, olive or vegetable oil, seasonings, salt and pepper, among myriad others.[self-published source] Some vegetable soups are puréed and run through a sieve, straining them to create a smooth texture. It is typically served hot, although some, such as pea soup, can also be served cold. Vegetable soup is sometimes served as a starter or appetizer dish.
In central Appalachia, vegetable soup, also referred to as winter vegetable soup and country soup, is a traditional staple food and common dish during the months of December–February amongst Appalachian highlanders.
- List of vegetable soups
- List of ancient dishes
- List of soups
- List of vegetable dishes
- Vegetable soups in Filipino cuisine
- Melton, Dru; Taerbaum, Jamie (13 December 2012). "The Soupbox Cookbook: Sensational Soups for Healthy Living". Race Point Publishing – via Google Books.
- Thomas, Anna (21 September 2009). "Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure". W. W. Norton & Company – via Google Books.
- Frich, Lilla Pauline (1 January 1917). "The Housewife's Cook Book". Augsburg Publishing Company – via Google Books.
- "Warm Up with Western Vegetable Soup". WTVR-TV. 30 January 2017.
- "Recipe for roasted winter vegetable soup with parsley pesto and cheese toasts". The Boston Globe.
- Watts, Phyllis (5 April 2017). "Where Food and People Meet". Xlibris Corporation – via Google Books.
- Ram, S. (1 January 2002). "Encyclopaedia of Afghanistan: Afghanistan: customs and traditions". Anmol Publications. p. 147 – via Google Books.
- Aoyagi, William Shurtleff, Akiko (1 January 2009). "History of Miso, Soybean Jiang (China), Jang (Korea) and Tauco (Indonesia) (200 BC-2009)". Soyinfo Center – via Google Books.
- "Hygeia". American Medical Association. 1 January 1939 – via Google Books.
- "10 Best Vegetable Soup Recipes". NDTV.
- "Eating For Victory: Healthy Home Front Cooking on War Rations". Michael O'Mara Books. 7 August 2014 – via Google Books.
- Dunster, Edward Swift; Foster, Frank Pierce; Hunter, James Bradbridge; Sajous, Charles Eucharist de Medicis; Klaunberg, Henry J.; Stragnell, Gregory; Martí-Ibáñez, Félix (1 January 1917). "International Record of Medicine and General Practice Clinics". MD Publications – via Google Books.
- Sohn, Mark (28 October 2005). "Appalachian Home Cooking: History, Culture, and Recipes". University Press of Kentucky – via Google Books.
- Somer, Elizabeth; Williams, Jeanette (7 January 2004). "The Food & Mood Cookbook: Recipes for Eating Well and Feeling Your Best". Macmillan – via Google Books.
- Prakash, V.; Martin-Belloso, Olga; Keener, Larry; Astley, Siân B.; Braun, Susanne; McMahon, Helena; Lelieveld, Huub (25 November 2015). "Regulating Safety of Traditional and Ethnic Foods". Academic Press – via Google Books.
- Wang, Rui; Zhang, Min; Mujumdar, Arun S. (1 September 2010). "Effect of food ingredient on microwave freeze drying of instant vegetable soup". LWT - Food Science and Technology. 43 (7): 1144–1150. doi:10.1016/j.lwt.2010.03.007 – via ScienceDirect.
- Cramwinckel, A.B.; Bokslag, D.M. van Mazijk -; Herstel, H. (1 January 1990). "Chemisch, microscopisch en sensorisch onderzoek van veertig monsters groentesoep".
- Media related to Vegetable soup at Wikimedia Commons