Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
|Illustrator||Catherine Kirkwood, Laurie Smith (photographs)|
|Published||1997 (Broadway Books)|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
In a review of Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone, Gourmet magazine wrote "Before you even read a word, the clean type, elegant, well-organized layout, and helpful illustrations reassure you that you won't be pulling your hair out trying to follow a recipe. And then Madison's warm, knowledgeable prose pulls you in."
Michael Ruhlman noted "For all these reasons, in the 17 years I've been writing about cooks and cooking, I have purchased a single cookbook, several years ago, for myself, a single book to inspire me and broaden my culinary imagination: "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone," by Deborah Madison, .." and The New Yorker "found Madison to be a charming and non-threatening psychopomp into the realm of what I imagined to be the half-dead, the eaters of what she frequently calls “plant food,” which, to me, sounded like “fish food.”" 
Publishers Weekly gave a starred review writing "Many have tried to create a reliable, encyclopedic vegetarian cookbook, but few have succeeded. Madison (The Greens Cookbook; The Savory Way) comes through with a weighty volume.." and called it an "incredibly complete and triumphant effort."
- 1998 IACP Cookbook of the Year - winner
- 1998 James Beard Vegetarian Book Award - winner
- 2008 Gourmet August Cookbook Club Pick
The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
In 2014 Madison brought out a revised version about which The Wall Street Journal wrote "Ms. Madison shows herself to be a formidable teacher not just of vegetarian cooking but of imaginative cooking generally."
- Swift, Sally. "Joe Yonan's three must-have classic vegetarian cookbooks". The Splendid Table. Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- Kate Winslow (August 2008). "Book Review: Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone". Gourmet. Condé Nast. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Ruhlman, Michael (March 28, 2014). "Book Review: 'The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone' by Deborah Madison". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Emma Allen (April 15, 2014). "For Love and Vegetables". The New Yorker. Condé Nast. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone". Publishers Weekly. PWxyz LLC. September 29, 1997. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "IACP Cookbook of the Year". literaryawards.com.au. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "James Beard Awards: Awards Search". jamesbeard.org. James Beard Foundation. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Michael Ruhlman (March 28, 2014). "Book Review: 'The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone' by Deborah Madison". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 9, 2018.