Vegetarian Society (Singapore)
Vegetarian Society (Singapore) or VSS is a non-profit, non-denominational organisation. The Singapore-registered charity was established in 1999 to "Promote vegetarianism among the public and support and link individuals and organizations that practise, promote or endorse vegetarianism". VSS is the largest community for vegetarianism, veganism or any form of semi-vegetarianism in Singapore. Promoting a plant-based diet is one of the main goals.
VSS is a member of the International Vegetarian Union (IVU) and the Asian Vegetarian Union (AVU) to synchronise within the global context.
- Formed in 1999
- Web presence since 15 September 2006
- Registered charity
- Member of the International Vegetarian Union
Current work, events and campaigns
|September||1st EarthFest Singapore sustainability festival in Singapore, takes place on 26 September 2015 at Marina Barrage|
|1 October||World Vegetarian Day|
|4 October||World Animal Day|
|1 November||World Vegan Day|
- July 2015: Going green for life, Food confidential in the Singapore Press Holdings, an interview with Dr. George Jacobs.
- July 2015: In an open letter in the Straight Times VSS explains how changing to a plant-based diet could reduce greenhouse gas by 2030 which is a goal by the United Nations.
- April 2015: More choices for Vegetarians in the Singapore Press Holdings with President George Jacobs and Secretary Pauline Menezes
- 2010: Helped to start Veggie Thursday, a project of 25+ Singapore organisations. Veggie Thursday promotes increased consumption of plant-based foods.
- 2014: "Why Love One But Eat The Other?" Campaign
Notable people and alumni
- EarthFest (SG)
- List of vegetarian festivals
- List of vegetarian organisations
- International Vegetarian Union
- Vegetarian Society
- List of vegetarian restaurants
- "Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth: SVV Organization Profile". Charities.gov.sg. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Singapore Green Landscape 2015". Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Web Archive Singapore: Vegetarian Society (Singapore)". Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "1st Southeast Asia Vegetarian Congress 2007 – Batam, Indonesia". Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Going green for life". Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Time to green Singapore by changing diet". Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "More choices for Vegetarians". Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Veggie Thursday". VeggieThursday.sg. Archived from the original on 28 July 2017. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- "Loveustoo". LoveUsToo.sg. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- "Vegetarian Society wants MRT commuters to feel guilty about their meat-eating habit". Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "VSS Annual Report 2013" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 July 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Annual Reports of the Vegetarian Society (Singapore) 2008–2014 "Annual Reports VSS". Archived from the original on 5 September 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Singapore Vegetarian Food Guide, ISBN 978-981-08-7868-9 by the Vegetarian Society (Singapore)