It is high in protein and fiber, yet low in fat, and has no cholesterol. Many vegan bacon products are lower in salt than pork back bacon, and some have less than 10% of the fat. Two slices of one particular brand average 310 kilojoules (75 kilocalories) of food energy.
In 2015, the Media Wales reported vegan restaurant Anna Loka in Cardiff served vegan rashers. In 2021, Aldi supermarkets in the United Kingdom added No Pork Streaky Bacon Rashers. Sainsbury's sold vegan sausages wrapped in vegan rashers during Christmas 2021.
Welsh chef Gaz Oakley makes a vegan version of bacon bits from coconut flakes. The Bangor Daily News reported that vegan expert Avery Yale Kamila said homemade vegan bacon can be made from shiitake mushrooms, rice paper, coconut, eggplant or banana peels. American musician Lizzo uses maple syrup to cook vegan bacon.
Vegetarian bacon can also be made at home by marinating strips of tempeh or tofu in various flavorings, such as soy sauce or liquid smoke, and then either frying or baking. Aficionados of raw food also use coconut meat as a bacon substitute. Seitan can also be formed into vegetarian bacon.
- Brighton, Misty Amber (3 February 2014). "What Is Vegetarian Bacon?". wiseGEEK. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Hale, Alex (2020-12-08). "The best vegan bacon for butties". Good Housekeeping. Retrieved 2021-12-12.
- "Vegetarian Bacon". bacon.co.uk. Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Smart Bacon". Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Hooray Foods releases plant-based bacon". www.meatpoultry.com. Retrieved 2021-12-12.
- Taylor, Anne (2021-10-19). "11 Popular Fake Bacon Products, Ranked Worst To Best". Mashed.com. Retrieved 2021-12-12.
- Mears, Tyler (2015-08-14). "Cardiff's first 100% vegan restaurant is open for pork sliders". WalesOnline. Retrieved 2021-12-11.
- Moloney, Marita; Pugh, Rachel (2021-09-29). "Aldi shoppers 'outraged' as they demand supermarket changes name of new product". Irish Mirror. Retrieved 2021-12-11.
- "Sainsbury's Christmas food range is on sale now - here are the highlights". www.scotsman.com. Retrieved 2021-12-11.
- Hodgkin, Emily (2021-12-10). "Brussels sprouts recipe: Vegan chef Gaz Oakley's 'bacon' bits - 'you'll love them!'". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-12-11.
- Schipani, Sam (2021-08-18). "Banana peels can be the basis for meatless bacon and pulled pork". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 2021-12-12.
- Penn, Farrah. "Lizzo Posted Her Favorite Hangover Meal On TikTok, So I Tried Making It For Myself". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 2021-12-12.
- Carlson, Jen (25 September 2012). "Move Over Bacon: With Pork Shortage Arriving, Try These Fake Bacons". Gothamist. Archived from the original on 5 September 2013.
- "Plant-Based Seitan Bacon". www.refrigeratedfrozenfood.com.
- "Go gluten-free? No, eat more of it". Crain's Chicago Business. 23 August 2013.
- "Upton's Breakroom: For the seitan-loving vegan on the go". 7 October 2013.
- Vegetarian Times. Active Interest Media, Inc. 1991. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Vegan Bacon". Loving It Vegan. 2019-09-12. Retrieved 2022-01-15.
- "Easiest Homemade Vegan Bacon Recipe". Vegans 247. 2021-12-17. Retrieved 2022-01-15.