Vegetarian bacon, also referred to as veggie bacon, vacon, or facon, is a product marketed as a bacon alternative. It is high in protein and fiber, yet low in fat, and has no cholesterol. Two slices average 75 calories. Brands include Morningstar Farms and Smart Bacon.
Vegetarian bacon can also be made at home by marinating strips of tempeh or tofu in various flavorings, such as soy sauce or liquid smoke, and then either frying or baking. Aficionados of raw food also use coconut meat as a bacon substitute. Seitan can also be formed into vegetarian bacon.
- Brighton, Misty Amber (3 February 2014). "What Is Vegetarian Bacon?". wiseGEEK. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Vegetarian Bacon". bacon.co.uk. Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Smart Bacon". Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- Carlson, Jen (25 September 2012). "Move Over Bacon: With Pork Shortage Arriving, Try These Fake Bacons". Gothamist. Archived from the original on 5 September 2013.
- "Plant-Based Seitan Bacon". www.refrigeratedfrozenfood.com.
- "Go gluten-free? No, eat more of it". Crain's Chicago Business. 23 August 2013.
- "Upton's Breakroom: For the seitan-loving vegan on the go".
- Vegetarian Times. Active Interest Media, Inc. 1991. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
|This bacon-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|