|Alternative names||Veggie dog, not dog|
|Type||Hot dog, meat alternative|
|Place of origin||United States|
A vegetarian hot dog is a hot dog produced completely from non-meat products. Unlike traditional home-made meat sausages, the casing is not made of intestine, but of cellulose or other plant-based ingredients. The filling is usually based on some sort of soy protein, wheat gluten, or pea protein. Some may contain egg whites, which would make them unsuitable for a lacto-vegetarian or vegan diet.
The history of the vegetarian hot dog is not clear, but Worthington Foods' Veja-Link meatless wieners claim to have been the world's first vegetarian hot dogs in 1949. Since the 1980s, a number of other manufacturers have entered the vegetarian hot dog market, such as Lightlife Foods, Field Roast Grain Meat Co, and Beyond Meat. Massachusetts-based LightLife first sold its Tofu Pups in 1985. In 2000, the Chicago White Sox's Comiskey Park became the first baseball venue to sell vegetarian hot dogs during games. In 2019, Moving Mountains began selling a vegan hot dog in London. The Nathan's Famous hot dog stands in New York City began selling vegan hot dogs in 2021. The hot dog is made by Meatless Farm.
Carrot hot dogs
A carrot hot dog is a carrot cured to taste like a hot dog and then grilled and then placed in a roll to resemble a traditional hot dog. Philadelphia magazine reported photos of carrot hot dogs appeared on Instagram and Pinterest in 2016. The Kennebec Journal reported in 2017 that carrot hot dog recipes were "an emerging trend" in cookbooks. Epicurious said it has been trolled ever since posting a carrot hot dog recipe in 2017.
Some restaurants sell them. In 2019, Harry & Ida's Meat and Supply Co. in New York sold a carrot dog. United States beverage firm Bolthouse Farms in 2020 began producing grill-ready cured carrot hot dogs to sell to retailers.
Actress Tabitha Brown first published a carrot hot dog recipe in 2020. In 2021, pop star Lizzo posted about carrot hot dogs. Vegan food columnist Avery Yale Kamila said in 2021: "For people who love vegetables, carrot hot dogs are a really exciting addition to backyard barbecues."
Vegetarian sausage rolls
Sausage rolls are a common fast food snack across Britain made from a sausage inside a pastry crust. Vegetarian versions or meat-free sausage rolls are now common. The small bakery chain Poundberry began selling vegetarian sausage rolls in 2016 and then a vegan version in 2018. In 2019, large bakery chain Greggs began selling vegan sausage rolls and the BBC reported the vegan rolls "caused an immediate sensation" and sold out fast.
- Meat-free sausage roll
- Vegetarian bacon
- Vegetarian sausage
- List of hot dogs
- List of meat substitutes
- Food portal
- Tofu sausages ingredients list. This product is: purely vegetable | cholesterol-free | egg-free | lactose-free | free of milk protein | free of genetic engineering | manufactured without the addition of yeast extract.
- "Vegetarian Journal May/Jun 2000 Guide to Burgers and Dogs". www.vrg.org. The Vegetarian Resource Group. 2000. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "Worthington Foods". www.soyinfocenter.com. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- Kamila, Avery Yale (2021-07-25). "Vegan hot dogs are nothing new in Maine". Press Herald. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- Greening the Ballpark. (vegetarian hot dogs in baseball parks) (Brief Article), Earth Island Journal, September, 2001
- "Can a vegan hot dog compete with the real thing? This company is banking on it". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- Fabricant, Florence (2021-04-26). "Coney Island's Original Goes Vegan". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- Marianski, Stanley (2011). Making Healthy Sausages. Bookmagic. p. 303. ISBN 978-0-9836973-0-5.
- "Dear Internet: Stop Trying to Make Carrot Hot Dogs Happen (Please!)". Philadelphia Magazine. 2016-07-07. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- Kamila, Avery Yale (2017-12-06). "Santa seem buff? Could be from hoisting all those vegan cookbooks". Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel. Retrieved 2021-11-21.
- "What Is It About the Carrot Hot Dog That Hurts You?". Epicurious. 2019-08-13. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- Carlson, Jen (2019-07-11). "This Hot Dog Is A Carrot!". Gothamist. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- bakersfield.com, BY JOHN COX jcox@. "Local growers debut carrot hot dogs, pasta, chips". The Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved 2021-11-21.
- "Tabitha Brown's Vegan Carrot Hot Dog Is Trending Again—and We're Still Obsessed". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- Schipani, Sam (2021-08-10). "How to marinate your carrots and turn them into 'hot dogs'". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- Ro, Christine. "How did the vegan sausage roll get so popular?". www.bbc.com. Retrieved 2021-11-19.
- "Bangers become the latest British favourite to go meat-free". the Guardian. 2019-09-17. Retrieved 2021-11-19.