This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directed by||Marisa Miller Wolfson|
|Screenplay by||Marisa Miller Wolfson|
|Story by||Marisa Miller Wolfson|
Marisa Miller Wolfson,
T. Colin Campbell
|September 10th, 2011 (Toronto Independent Film Festival)|
Vegucated is a 2011 American documentary film that explores the challenges of converting to a vegan diet. It "follows three meat- and cheese-loving New Yorkers who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks."
Directed Marisa Miller Wolfson interviewed a number of people to participate in this documentary and chose Brian, who likes to eat meat and eat out; Ellen, a psychiatrist, part-time comedian and single mother; and Tesla, a college student who lives with her family. In the film Joel Fuhrman and T. Colin Campbell discuss the benefits of a plant-based diet consisting of whole foods. The film also features Howard Lyman and Stephen R. Kaufman. Kneel Cohn makes a cameo appearance.
The documentary addresses the resistance that some people feel towards vegetarianism and veganism, the disconnect between farm animals and the purchasing of meat, the origins of omnivorism and the ethical, environmental and health benefits of a vegan diet. During the filming, participants visited an abandoned slaughterhouse and investigated the reality of intensive animal farming in the US. Of their own accord, they chose to trespass on a factory farm to see for themselves, and became passionate about their new-found cause.
- Best Documentary, Toronto Independent Film Festival, 2011
- Chris Award For Best Educational Film, Columbus International Film & Video Festival
- Best Food Issue, Cinema Verde Environmental Film and Arts Festival, 2012
- Official Selection, Environmental Film Festival in the Nation's Capital, 2012
- Official Selection, UK Green Film Festival, 2012
The GetVegucated YouTube channel contains follow-up films, including Where are they now? and behind the scenes footage.
- Kanner, Ellen. "Meatless Monday: The Vegucation of Marisa Miller Wolfson," Huffington Post, May 21, 2012.
- Sachs, Andrea. "‘Vegucated’ digs into some meaty issues, Washington Post, November 8, 2011.
- Sweet, Joni. "Q&A with Vegucated's Marisa Miller Wolfson," VegNews, September 14, 2011.
|This article about a documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This animal rights-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|