|Founded||1 January 2017|
Number of employees
|c. 2000 (2018)|
Veikkaus Oy is the Finnish government-owned betting agency which holds a monopoly in the country. It was formed in 2017 as a merger of three previously existing betting and gambling agencies of Veikkaus, Fintoto and Finland's Slot Machine Association.
In January 2019, Veikkaus announced a plan to reduce its workforce by around 400 positions, while also announcing “significant overhauls of our gaming locations and an end to the restaurant gaming table business.”
The profit distribution of Veikkaus is determined in the law. The profit is distributed to be onwards distributed to ministry-specific beneficiaries as follows:
- 53% to the Ministry of Education and Culture for improving on sports and physical education, science, arts and youth work;
- 43% to the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health for improving on health and social welfare;
- 4% to the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry for improving on horse racing.
- "Mikä Veikkaus on" (in Finnish). Veikkaus Oy. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Uuden rahapeliyhtiön nimi on Veikkaus" (in Finnish). Veikkaus Oy. 16 June 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Betting agency Veikkaus to cut 400 jobs, may halt restaurant gambling". Yle Uutiset. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Hallituksen esitys eduskunnalle laeiksi arpajaislain ja eräiden siihen liittyvien lakien muuttamisesta HE 132/2016 vp". Valtioneuvosto.fi (in Finnish). Finnish Government. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
|This Finland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|