|Produced by||M. Chinthamani|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
Sree Rajakaalaiamman Medias
|Distributed by||Kalasangham Films|
|8 November 2007|
Vel (transl. Spear) is a 2007 Indian Tamil-language action film written and directed by Hari and produced by Mohan Natarajan. It stars Suriya in a double role as identical twins as protagonists, Asin as the female lead, and Kalabhavan Mani as the antagonist. It also features Vadivelu, Lakshmi, Saranya Ponvannan, Charan Raj, Ambika, and Nassar in supporting roles. The film's score and soundtrack was composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja. The film released on 8 November 2007, coinciding with Diwali. Upon release, the film received mixed reviews but was a critical and commercial success. The film was later dubbed and released in Telugu as Deva and in Hindi as Main Faisla Karunga in 2014.
(Charan Raj) and (Saranya Ponvannan) who have twins lose one of them while traveling between Tirunelveli and Chennai. The child stolen by a beggar for its gold chain is abandoned at the door of a rich feudal landlord. He is brought up in the family as Vel (Suriya) and becomes the darling of everybody including Appatha (Lakshmi), the family head. Meanwhile the other twin grows up and becomes a private detective Vasu (Suriya), who falls in love with a television hostess, Swathi (Asin). At the same time Vel is given a tough time by Sakkara Pandi (Kalabhavan Mani), a former minister and local strongman who has his own axe to grind. The twins meet, swap their roles and unite to fight the villain, forms the rest of this predictable yarn.
- Suriya as Vetrivel & Vasudevan
- Asin as Swathi
- Vadivelu as Kuzhandaisami
- Kalabhavan Mani as Sakkara Pandi
- Lakshmi as Arivumangai, Vetrivel's Adoptive Grand Mother
- Saranya Ponvannan as Sharadha, Vetrivel & Vasudevan's mother
- Charan Raj as Thiyagarajan, Vetrivel & Vasudevan's father
- Nassar as Rajapandi, Vetrivel's Adoptive Father
- Ambika as Sivagami, Vetrivel's Adoptive Mother
- Raj Kapoor as Muthupandi , Rajapandi's 1st Younger Brother
- Aishwarya as Manimeghalai, Sakkara Pandi's wife
- Charle as Moorthy, Vasudevan's Friend
- Devadarshini as Sarala, Swathi's Elder Sister
- Chaams as Gopal, Swathi's Brother-in-law
- O. A. K. Sundar as Veerapandi,. Rajapandi's 2nd Younger Brother
- Vaiyapuri as Mokkasami, Sakkara Pandi's sidekick
- Singamuthu as Shamugam, Sakkara pandi's accountant
- Crane Manohar as Ayyakannu, Kuzhandhaisami's Sidekick
- Madhan Bob as Lawyer Sundaram
- Halwa Vasu as Arivu
|Soundtrack album by|
13 October 2007 (India)
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music Entertainment|
An Ak Audio
|Producer||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
Director Hari once again teamed up with composer Yuvan Shankar Raja for the musical score of Vel after having worked together in Thaamirabharani. The soundtrack of Vel was released on 13 October 2007 and features 6 songs. Lyrics were written by Na. Muthukumar and Hari. Comedian Vadivelu had lent his voice for one of the songs.
The album received mixed reviews.
|1||"Indha Ooril"||Shankar Mahadevan||4:30||Na. Muthukumar|
|2||"Kovakkara Kiliye"||Sujatha and Tippu||4:15||Na. Muthukumar|
|3||"Aayiram Jannal"||Vadivelu, Premji Amaran and Rahul Nambiar||5:13||Na. Muthukumar|
|4||"Thoppul Kodi"||Sriram Parthasarathy||2:11||Hari|
|5||"Onnapola"||Shankar Mahadevan and Srilekha Parthasarathy||4:03||Na. Muthukumar|
|6||"Ottraikannale"||Haricharan and Suchitra||4:08||Hari|
This film's theaterical run was 50 days in 17 centers and 100 days in 13 centers making it a commercially successful venture.
- "Vel". The Times of India. 8 November 2007. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Yuvan's great escape". Sify. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Suriya's Vel 100 days it collected 520millionCelebration". Sify. Retrieved 6 August 2009.