Velaikkaran (1987 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||S. P. Muthuraman|
|Produced by||Rajam Balachander|
|Written by||K. Balachander|
|Cinematography||T. S. Vinayagam|
|Edited by||R. Vittal|
Velaikaran (transl. Man servant) is a 1987 Indian Tamil-language action comedy film directed by S. P. Muthuraman, starring Rajinikanth, Sarath Babu and Amala. This film is a remake of the 1982 Hindi film Namak Halaal. The film was released on 7 March 1987 and became a box office success. This is one other kollywood movie shot in Kashmir. One Song and fight scene from the movie has been shot in Kashmir.
Ragupathy (Rajinikanth) was brought up by his paternal grandfather, Valayapathy (V.K.Ramasamy). He decided to go to the city in search of a new job and life. In the city he meets Senthil, who guides him into an interview in a 5-star hotel owned by Rajkumar (Sarath Babu). While in the hotel, Ragupathy meets Kowsalya, (Amala) and falls in love with her. During this time, many attempts are made to kill Rajkumar by his uncle and son Nassar. The blame for this murder attaches to Rajkumar's mother (K. R. Vijaya), who is actually Ragupathy's mother. Realizing all this, Ragupathy takes an oath that he will not let harm come to Rajkumar.
- Rajinikanth as Ragupathy
- Sarath Babu as Rajkumar
- Amala as Kowsalya
- K. R. Vijaya as Savithri
- Achamillai Gopi as Kowsalya's blind brother
- Nassar as Pounraj
- R. N. Sudarshan
- V. K. Ramasamy as Valayapathy
- Senthil as Vaiyapuri
- Shihan Hussaini
- A. Sakunthala
- Bayilvan Ranganathan
|1||"Enakku Thaa Un Uyirai"||B. S. Sasirekha||Mu. Metha||04:28|
|2||"Maamanukku Mayilapoorethaan"||Malaysia Vasudevan||04:36|
|3||"Pethu Eduthavathaan"||Malaysia Vasudevan||04:34|
|4||"Va Va Va Kanna"||Mano, K. S. Chithra||05:53|
|6||"Thotathile Paathi"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Saibaba||04:34|
Release and reception
Velaikkaran was released on 7 March 1987. The Indian Express called it "pretty run of the mill stuff". The film became a box office success. For his performance, Rajinikanth won the Sunflash Award for Best Actor.
- "King of remakes". Filmfare. 22 July 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Velaikaran (1987)". Raaga.com. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "ராகயாத்திரை 13: 'தேர் கொண்டு சென்றவன் யாரென்று சொல்லடி'". The Hindu Tamil. 13 July 2018. Archived from the original on 29 July 2019. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Velaikkaran". The Indian Express. 7 March 1987. p. 3.
- "Run-of-the-mill". The Indian Express. 20 March 1987. p. 14.
- Ramachandran 2014, p. 112.
- Ramachandran 2014, p. 268.
- Ramachandran, Naman (2014) . Rajinikanth: The Definitive Biography. New Delhi: Penguin Books. ISBN 978-0-14-342111-5.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)