Velaikkaran (2017 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mohan Raja|
|Produced by||R. D. Raja|
|Written by||Mohan Raja|
|Screenplay by||Mohan Raja|
|Story by||Mohan Raja|
|Music by||Anirudh Ravichander|
|Distributed by||24AM Studios|
Fox Star Studios
Velaikkaran (lit. Worker) is a 2017 Indian Tamil-language action thriller film, written and directed by Mohan Raja. Featuring an ensemble cast including Sivakarthikeyan, Fahadh Faasil and Nayanthara, the film has music composed by Anirudh Ravichander and cinematography by Ramji. Produced by R. D. Raja, the film is based on a sales executive named Arivu (Sivakarthikeyan) who fights against food adulteration committed by high-class companies. The film was released on 22 December 2017. The film received mostly positive reviews from critics as well as audience. The performance of Fahadh Faasil was mainly appreciated. The music too gained positive reviews all around.
This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Arivu (Sivakarthikeyan) hails from Kolaikkara Kuppam a.k.a. Cooliekkara Kuppam, a slum area in Chennai. He wants to focus on the upliftment of his fellow beings and works hard for the same. Arivu starts Kuppam FM 90.8, a local radio channel with the help of the area gangster Kasi (Prakash Raj). In reality, Arivu tries to free the people of the area from Kasi's atrocities. Arivu succeeds in turning the people of the area against Kasi.
Later, Arivu joins a leading FMCG company Saffron and joins its sales department under Stella Bruce (Thambi Ramaiah). He also manages to bring his friend Bhagya (Vijay Vasanth) out of Kasi's gang and gets him a job in Saffron. He meets Aadhi (Fahadh Faasil), Saffron's brand manager, who teaches him how to progress. On the night of April 1, Kasi and his gang stab Bhagya. Arivu tries to attack Kasi, but Kasi's rival Doss (Sharath Lohitashwa) stabs Kasi, and Arivu admonishes Kasi for being a paid henchman. Kasi reveals to Arivu that he killed Bhagya on a contract given by Jayaram (Anish Kuruvilla), the President of Saffron, due to the fact that Bhagya tries to help Kasthuri (Sneha), who files a case claiming Saffron's products to be adulterated, due to which she had lost her son. Arivu is addressed by Kasi as being a worse hitman than he himself is. Arivu then saves Kasi. Kasi tells Arivu that all the products manufactured by this company are adulterated. Arivu takes up a mission to fight such malpractices not only in Saffron, but also in all the other five major food companies, including the company owned by Madhav Kurup (Mahesh Manjrekar). Arivu shares all of his plans with Aadhi. It is revealed that Aadhi is Adhiban Madhav, Madhav's son. He joined Saffron to know their trade secrets and merge the company with his father's company.
Arivu manages to convince his company's staff to manufacture products as per government regulations for two days, while he convinces the staff of the other companies to wear a kerchief on their dresses for the next two days, thus tricking the owners into believing their workers have turned against them. Aadhi manages to foil Arivu's plan and coerces the other owners to write over the major shares of their company to Madhav. Aadhi manages to turn the employees against Arivu by tricking them into believing that Arivu worked as a spy for Madhav. Stella humiliates Arivu, while Aadhi pretends to defend Arivu, claiming he is innocent and the new president conspired all these. Arivu reveals to Aadhi that Stella was his ally, and he knows that Aadhi is the traitor. Aadhi burns down the godown containing the unadulterated products and reveals to Arivu that he is Madhav's son and will be the next CEO. He also convinces the staff and makes them propose his name as the new CEO.
Arivu goes to the Radio Mirchi radio station on the same day, which a night before May 1 and reveals that after the fire accident, one of the injured department heads of Saffron, Karpaga Vinayagam (Ramdoss), called him into the ambulance and told him that he followed the regulations on the third day too. Arivu also got to know from the other Saffron team workers Kennedy (Mansoor Ali Khan), Vinoth (Kaali Venkat), Ansari (Aruldoss), and Sivaranjani (Vinodhini Vaidyanathan) that after manufacturing quality products for two days, they could not bring themselves to manufacture adulterated products on the next day, and they all followed government regulations, thus manufacturing quality products on the next day. Aadhi, now the CEO, hears the workers say they will rebel against him and depose him if he tries to revert to manufacturing adulterated products. Arivu adds that the loyalty of all the employees in each and every field should not be wasted by showing it towards unethical employers. Aadhi vents out his frustration on the failure of his plan.
All the people in the city show their support to Arivu, who celebrates his success with his love interest Mrinalini (Nayanthara), friends, family, the people of his slum, and the people of the city as the movie ends.
- Sivakarthikeyan as Arivu
- Fahadh Faasil as Adhiban Madhav (Aadhi)
- Nayanthara as Mrinalini "Miru"(Voice dubbed by Deepa Venkat)
- Prakash Raj as Kasi Annan
- Sneha as Kasthuri
- Thambi Ramaiah as Stella Bruce
- RJ Balaji as Sriram
- Sathish as Hari
- Vijay Vasanth as Bhagya
- Robo Shankar as Chinna Thambi
- Rohini as Ponni
- Charle as Murugesan
- Ramdoss as Karpaga Vinayagam
- Aruldoss as Ansari
- Kaali Venkat as Vinoth
- Mansoor Ali Khan as Kennedy
- Vinodhini Vaidyanathan as Sivaranjani
- Mime Gopi as Kishta
- Y. G. Mahendra as Narayanan
- Madhusudhan Rao as Madhusudhan
- Mahesh Manjrekar as Madhav Kurup
- Sharath Lohitashwa as Doss
- Anish Kuruvilla as Jayaram
- Nagineedu as Loknath
- Uday Mahesh as Naga Sudarshan
- Balaji Venugopal as Saffron Assistant Senior Manager
- Saravana Subbiah as TV Host
- Maya S. Krishnan as Actress
- Vivek Prasanna as Babu
- Shyam Prasad as one of the Board of Directors
- Vijayraj as Saffron Staff
- Mithun Raj as Saffron Interview Candidate
- Rajie Vijay Sarathy as Sriram's mother
- Abdool as TV Stabilizer Salesman
- Yuva Lakshmi as Vani
- RJ Sha as himself in a special appearance
In December 2016, an official press announcement from producer R. D. Raja revealed that director Mohan Raja and Sivakarthikeyan would collaborate for his second production venture. A launch event for the film was held on 11 March 2017, with the team announcing their intentions of starting the shoot in late 2016. Nayanthara signed the film in April 2017, while Malayalam actor Fahadh Faasil was also brought in to appear in a pivotal role in the film, marking his debut in Tamil cinema. Prior to the start of shoot, several actors were finalised for supporting roles including Sneha, Prakash Raj, Rohini and Thambi Ramaiah. RJ Balaji, Sathish also joined the cast in mid-early-.
Anirudh Ravichander, Vivek Harshan and T. Muthuraj joined the team as the music composer, editor and art director respectively. Likewise Anal Arasu was selected as the stunt choreographer, while Vishnu Govind and Sree Shankar were put in charge of sound editing and mixing. In a turn of events, editor Ruben replaces Vivek Harshan, which is evident on the latest film poster released for Deepavali season.
The film began production untitled on 11 January 2017 in T Nagar, Chennai and shot in the area for up to a month. The shoot continued throughout January at Prasad Studios in Chennai where art director Muthuraj had erected a large set resembling Chennai's slums. In February 2017, it was reported that the film was developing under the title of Velaikkaran, after the team had bought the rights of the title from Vijay Vasanth who had registered it for a future film. Following 35 days of shoot, the team moved to Malaysia to continue filming.  Some important portions and climax are to be shot in Malaysia. It's reported that Fahadh Faasil is to dub himself for the first time in Tamil in this movie.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Anirudh Ravichander chronology|
|Singles from Velaikkaran|
The soundtrack and background music of this film are scored by Anirudh Ravichander who also scored for Siva Karthikeyan's previous film 'Remo' which was also produced by 24 AM studios. Velaikkaran is the 17th film as solo composer for Anirudh and 6th film along with Sivakarthikeyan.
|1.||"Karuthavanlaam Galeejam"||Viveka||Anirudh Ravichander||3:28|
|2.||"Iraiva"||Viveka||Anirudh Ravichander, Jonita Gandhi||4:53|
|3.||"Vaa Velaikkara"||Vivek||Shakthisree Gopalan, Bjorn Surrao||2:35|
|4.||"Idhayane"||Madhan Karky||Anirudh Ravichander, Neeti Mohan||3:41|
|5.||"Ezhu Velaikkara"||Viveka||Siddharth Mahadevan||5:05|
On the first day of the film's shoot, the producer R. D. Raja revealed that the film would have a theatrical release on 29 September 2017 (Pooja Holidays). In April 2017, the production house has announced that the release date is postponed to 29 October 2017. Due to delays in post production the film's release date was shifted to 22 December 2017. It is reported that STAR Vijay has acquired the satellite rights of this movie.
- Sivakarthikeyan: You can expect a lot of surprises in 2018
- Cinema Plus. "Sivakarthikeyan teams up with Mohan Raja - Chennai". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Mohan Raja to direct Sivakarthikeyan!". Sify.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Fahadh Faasil thrilled to work with Sivakarthikeyan, Jayam Raja | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Dnaindia.com. 2016-04-11. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Sivakarthikeyan to romance Nayanthara in Mohan Raja's next : Regional cinema, News - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 2016-04-03. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Thambi Ramaiah on being a part of Mohan Raja's next with Sivakarthikeyan". Behindwoods.com. 2016-10-16. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Prakash Raj on board for Mohan Raja`s next with Sivakarthikeyan!". Sify.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Share on FacebookShare on Twitter (2016-08-31). "Sneha signs Sivakartheyan-Mohan Raja film! - Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Rohini to play Sivakarthikeyan's mother in Mohan Raja directorial film". Behindwoods.com. 2016-11-03. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "RJ Balaji and Sathish confirmed for Sivakarthikeyan's next". Sify.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Anirudh Ravichander to score music for Sivakarthikeyan Mohan Raja film - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "A Big Change In Sivarthikeyan's Velaikkaran Is Here! Check Out!". BehindWoods. Retrieved 2017-10-22.
- "Sivakarthikeyan-Mohan Raja film from Nov 11". Sify.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Sivakarthikeyan-Mohan Raja film progresses!". Sify.com. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Sivakarthikeyan's next film has been tentatively titled as Velaikaran". Behindwoods.com. 2017-02-05. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "IndiaGlitz - Mohan Raja Sivakarthikeyan off to malaysia for shooting of Velaikkaran - Tamil Movie News". Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- "Fahadh Faasil dubs in Tamil for Velaikkaran". Behindwoods. 2017-07-13. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- [movietet.com/movie-review/m/velaikkaran "Velaikkaran movie info - MovieTeT"] Check
- "Release date of Sivakarthikeyan - Mohan Raja project announced". Behindwoods.com. 2016-11-11. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Vijay TV bags satellite rights of Velaikkaran". The Times of India. 20 June 2017. Retrieved 29 December 2017.