Veleta (Sierra Nevada)
|Elevation||3,394 m (11,135 ft) |
3,396 m (11,142 ft)
3,398 m (11,148 ft)
|Location||Granada, Andalucia, Spain|
|Parent range||Sierra Nevada|
|Easiest route||From Granada|
Veleta (from the Arab word "Balata", meaning cliff) or Pico del Veleta is the second highest peak of the Iberian peninsula and the Sierra Nevada. Its height is given variously as 3,394 metres (11,135 ft), 3,396 metres (11,142 ft) and 3,398 metres (11,148 ft).
The mountain can be seen from the city of Granada. Veleta's northern slopes are home to the Sierra Nevada Ski Station. The access road that takes one to approximately 10 metres below the summit is the highest paved road in Europe across the mountains from Granada to the western Alpujarras. This road was built before the creation of the Sierra Nevada National Park in 1999. It has since been closed to general traffic beyond Hoya de la Mora, just above the ski station. However, the road is still used by ski station employees, national park rangers, observatory staff, cyclists and walkers, and a microbus service also takes hikers up to Posiciones del Veleta, a viewpoint 3,100 metres above sea level. In summer it is a relatively easy walk up to the summit from there.
The IRAM 30m telescope is located on the slopes of Pico Veleta, at an elevation of 2920 m.
- Sierra Nevada Ski Station
- List of highest paved roads in Europe
- List of highest paved roads in Europe by country
- List of mountain passes
- Parque Nacional de Sierra Nevada (Map) (La Alpujarra Marquesado del Zenete ed.). 1:40000. Editorial Penibetica. declination 2005. ISBN 84-933461-9-5. Check date values in:
- Sierra Nevada La Alpujarra (Map). 1:40000. Mapa Excursionista. Editorial Alpina. 2006-2007 (declination 1999). ISBN 84-8090-255-8. Check date values in:
- Walmsley, Andy (2006). Walking in the Sierra Nevada (2nd ed.). Milnthorpe, Cumbria: Cicerone. p. 185. ISBN 1-85284-435-3.
- Junta de Andalucia - Sierra Nevada
- Microbus services in the Sierra Nevada
- Veleta or Pico de Veleta - Iberianature
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pico del Veleta.|