|Born||1958 (age 60–61)|
|Alma mater||University of Helsinki, Fuller Theological Seminary, University of Jyväskylä|
|Institutions||Fuller Theological Seminary|
Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen (born 1958) is a Finnish theologian. He is Professor of Systematic Theology at Fuller Theological Seminary. An ordained Lutheran minister (ELCA - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America), he is also a world-renowned expert on Pentecostal-Charismatic theologies.
Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen was born into a Finnish Lutheran family. As a teenager, he would eventually become affiliated to a local Pentecostal church in his homeland. Later in life, he has been ordained as minister of ELCA and serves as part-time associate pastor for Finnish Lutheran Church in California and Texas (under Southwest California ELCA synod).
After receiving a M.Ed. from the University of Jyväskylä, Kärkkäinen pursued a M.A. in theology from Fuller Theological Seminary. He returned to Finland and was ordained as a minister of the Full Gospel Church of Finland, pastoring a local congregation from 1989-1991. In 1991, he moved his family to Thailand and taught at the Full Gospel Bible College in Bangkok. Three years later he return to Finland, becoming president of the Iso Kirja Bible College in Keuruu in 1994. He completed his doctorate at the University of Helsinki in 1998.
Kärkkäinen joined the faculty of Fuller in 2000 as associate professor of systematic theology and became full professor in 2003. Kärkkäinen also serves as Docent of Ecumenics at the University of Helsinki.
In 2017 he completed the fifth of his projected five-volume systematic theology series called Constructive Christian Theology for the Church in the Pluralistic World, which engages questions of science and religion, global theology, and dialogue with other religions through comparative theology.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti (2002). Pneumatology: The Holy Spirit in Ecumenical, International, and Contextual Perspective. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti (2004). The Doctrine of God: A Global Introduction. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti, ed. (2010). Holy Spirit and Salvation: The Sources of Christian Theology. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Yong, Amos (2015). "Whither Evangelical Theology? The Work of Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen as a Case Study of Contemporary Trajectories". The Dialogical Spirit: Christian Reason and Theological Method in the Third Millennium. Cambridge: James Clark and Co. pp. 121–148.
- "Participants". Humble Approach Initiative. John Templeton Foundation. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen". Fuller Theological Seminary. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen". Biola University. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti (2013). Christ and Reconciliation: A Constructive Christian Theology for the Pluralistic World. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. ISBN 9780802868534.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti (2014). Trinity and Revelation: A Constructive Christian Theology for the Pluralistic World. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. ISBN 9780802868541.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti (2015). Creation and Humanity: A Constructive Christian Theology for the Pluralistic World. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. ISBN 9780802868558.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti (2016). Spirit and Salvation: A Constructive Christian Theology for the Pluralistic World. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. ISBN 9780802868565.