|• Total||7.61 km2 (2.94 sq mi)|
|Elevation||166.6 m (546.6 ft)|
It has been designated a "stork village" (i.e., a settlement with 10 or more stork nests). It was also the home of the Slovene writer Miško Kranjec. The house where he was born (which is also the tourist information office) can be visited. The village is surrounded by fenland and fields of sunflowers, pumpkins, and wheat. Črnec Creek, a tributary of the Ledava, flows past the settlement. The best way to explore the area is by cycling or walking the numerous trails.
Notable people that were born or lived in Velika Polana include:
- Miško Kranjec (1908–1983), writer
- "Naselje Velika Polana". Statistični urad Republike Slovenije. Retrieved April 20, 2020.
- Vengušt, Jernej. 1919. Seznamek prekmurskih občin (krajev) z označbo pošte in zemljevidom. Radgona, p. 11.
- "Velika Polana municipal site". Archived from the original on 2007-03-10. Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- Savnik, Roman (1980). Krajevni leksikon Slovenije, vol. 4. Ljubljana: Državna založba Slovenije. p. 113.
- Družina RC Church in Slovenia site