Veliko Tarnovo Municipality
|Veliko Tarnovo Municipality
Община Велико Търново
Veliko Tarnovo Municipality within Bulgaria and Veliko Tarnovo Province.
|Province (Oblast)||Veliko Tarnovo|
|Admin. centre (Obshtinski tsentar)||Veliko Tarnovo|
|• Total||883 km2 (341 sq mi)|
|Population (December 2009)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Veliko Tarnovo Municipality (Bulgarian: Община Велико Търново) is a municipality (obshtina) in Veliko Tarnovo Province, Central-North Bulgaria, located mostly in the so-called Fore-Balkan area north of Stara planina mountain. It is named after its administrative centre - the old capital of the country, the city of Veliko Tarnovo which is also the main town of the province.
The municipality embraces a territory of 883 km² with a population of 88,724 inhabitants, as of December 2009.
The area is a crossroads of two of the major transport corridors in Bulgaria - road E772 which connects the capital of Sofia with the port of Varna and road E85 which connects the city of Ruse on Danube river with Shipka pass. The Hemus motorway is planned to cross the municipality north of its main town.
(towns are shown in bold):
The following table shows the change of the population during the last four decades. Since 1992 Veliko Tarnovo Municipality has comprised the former municipality of Kilifarevo and the numbers in the table reflect this unification.
|Veliko Tarnovo Municipality|
|Sources: Census 2001, Census 2011, „pop-stat.mashke.org“,|
According to the 2011 census, among those who answered the optional question on ethnic identification, the ethnic composition of the municipality was the following:
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian provinces and municipalities in 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian towns in 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian villages under 1000 inhabitants - December 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian Settlements 1000-5000 inhabitants - December 2009
- National Statistical Institute - Census 2001
- Population by province, municipality, settlement and age by 01.02.2011; Bulgarian National Statistical Institute
- Population of Bulgarian divisions
- Population by province, municipality, settlement and ethnic identification, by 01.02.2011; Bulgarian National Statistical Institute (Bulgarian)
- Official website (Bulgarian)