|Directed by||A. Jagannathan|
|Screenplay by||A. L. Narayanan|
|Story by||Dr. Pavithran|
|Produced by||V. Viswanathan|
|Edited by||R. Devarajan|
Vellai Roja (transl. White Rose) is a 1983 Indian Tamil-language film, directed by A. Jagannathan and produced by V. Viswanathan. The film stars Sivaji Ganesan, Ambika, Prabhu and Radha. The film had musical score by Ilaiyaraaja. It is a remake of the Malayalam film Post Mortem which was remade in Telugu in 1984 as S.P. Bhayankar , in Kannada in 1988 as Dharmathma and in Hindi in 1993 as Tahqiqaat.
Father James (Sivaji Ganesan) is a Catholic Priest, well-respected by the entire town. Parisutham (Calcutta Viswanathan) is a multimillionaire and head of the town, Peter (Prabhu) who is the son of coffin maker Savaerimuthu (G. Srinivasan) is an angry young man, who always fights for justice and is against rich people. Peter's sister Mary (Radha) and Parisutham's son Johnny (Suresh) are in love. Mary becomes pregnant and at that time Johnny has to leave the country for few days on business, so she asks the Father James' help to arrange her marriage with Johnny because both Parisutham and Peter respect his words. But Peter's girlfriend Lakshmi (Ambika), overhears part of a conversation between Father James and Mary on her pregnancy and misunderstands that the Father and Mary were involved in a taboo relationship, and she tells Peter. Next day, Mary is found hanging dead from a tree. Peter, in a fit of rage assaults Father James and gets arrested, but he escapes. Everyone thinks that Mary has committed suicide and she is buried without a postmortem. But Father James has a suspicion about Mary's death, so he asks his twin brother Arul (again Sivaji Ganesan), Superintendent of Police, to have the body exhumed in order to perform a postmortem. The next day when S.P. Arul exhumes Mary's coffin he finds Father James murdered and his dead body in it, with Mary's corpse missing. Everyone suspects Peter was the culprit, S.P. Arul immediately begins an investigation to solve the mystery behind Mary's missing dead body and Father James' death. Who is the culprit for Father James' murder, the motive, was Mary killed or did she commit suicide, why was her body missing and where is Johnny, forms the rest of the story.
- Sivaji Ganesan as Father James/S. P. Arul, (Twin brothers)
- Ambika as Lakshmi, School Teacher
- Prabhu as Peter Savari Muthu, Mary's brother
- Radha as Merry Savari Muthu, Peter's Sister
- Suresh as Johnny, Parisutham's step son
- Y. G. Mahendra as Constable Perumal Naidu
- Calcutta Viswanathan as Parisutham
- Sivachandran as Chinna Durai
- Thengai Srinivasan as Rahvuthoor, Mumtaz's father
- Pandari Bai as Peter & Mary's Mother
- Silk Smitha as Guest Appearance
- Manorama as Arpudhamani Rosappoo
- Indra as Mumtaz
- Vani as Kamakshi, Lakshmi's Mother
- G. Srinivasan as Savari Muthu, Peter & Mary's father
- V. Gopalakrishnan as Police Inspector
- Oru Viral Krishna Rao as Dhairiyam, Church Bell boy
|1||"Solai Poovil Malai Thenral"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Muthulingam||04:38|
|2||"Oh Maanae Maana"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Na. Kamarasan||04:20|
|3||"Devanin Kovil"||Malaysia Vasudevan||Vaali||04:15|
|4||"Naagoor Pakkathile"||Ilaiyaraaja, Malaysia Vasudevan, S. P. Sailaja||Gangai Amaran||04:43|
|5||"Vaadi Enn"||Gangai Amaran, S. Janaki||Gangai Amaran||04:25|
- "Vellai Roja". OneIndia. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Vellai Roja". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Vellai Roja". gomolo.com. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Vellai Roja". nadigarthilagam.com. Archived from the original on 4 October 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Vellai Roja Songs". raaga.com. Retrieved 13 August 2014.