|• Total||28.32 km2 (10.93 sq mi)|
|• Density||780/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||0.89 ♂/♀|
Velur or Veloor (Malayalam : വേലൂര്) is a village and panchayat in Thalapilly taluk, Thrissur district, Kerala, India with a population of 22,155. Other places close to Velur are Kechery, Wadakkanchery etc.
This village was a part of Chengazhinad (one of the 18 states of Cochin Kingdom) under rule of Chengazhi Nambiar or (Chengazhi Nambi).
- Fr. Johann Ernst Hanxleden, who is popularly known as Arnos Padiri., who written the first Malayalam - Portuguese Encyclopedia  This Jesuit priest from Germany has given his energy not only to Velur but to the whole world through his literary works. It is believed that the Velur church was founded by Arnos Padiri about three centuries ago on 3 December 1712 in honor of St. Francis Xavier.
- Velur kanal Samaram-1948. Velur Kanal Samaram was conducted by the Communist Party against the cruel treatment and exploitation of the labourers by the person who had undertaken the work of constructing a canal from the Vazhani Dam reservoir for irrigation. some of the leaders of this historic struggle which helped in the growth of Communist party in the area were A.S.N.Nambissan (Former M.L.A.), C.P.Francis and K.S.Sankaran.
- Marumarakkal Samaram in Velur Manimalarkavu-1952
Transport is provided by State owned Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and private transport bus operators. Road transport is also supported by private taxis and autorickshaws also called autos.
Auto Rikshaws available at Post Office centre, Chungam, Pazhaya Post Office, Thandilam Road, Puliyannur, Thayyur State Highway 76 pass through Velur. SH 76 Kuranchery - Velur - Kechery Road. 12.838 km . Direct Bus available from THRISUR Shakthan Stand, Wadakanchery Ottupara Bus Stand, Guruvayur, Kunnamkulam, Kechery(6 km) etc.
The nearest railhead is Wadakkanchery 13 km, Other nearest Rail way Stations are THRISSUR 20 km, SHORANUR 28 km & GURUVAYUR 15 km.
Nearest Airports are,
- Cochin International Airport (Nedumabassery airport)(Nearly 75 km)
- Calicut International Airport(Nearly 100 km)
Places of worship
St. Francis Xavier Forane Church
Velur is centered around the St. Francis Xavier Forane Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, which is a protected monument in the Archdiocese of Thrissur with considerable antiquity and spiritual heritage. Historically this Forane church has been the mother church of many parishes. Four Forane divisions have come into existence out of this church. The fame of the church is closely linked with the fame of its founder, Fr. Johann Ernst Hanxleden, who is popularly known as Arnos Padiri., who written the first Malayalam - Portuguese Encyclopedia  This Jesuit priest from Germany has given his energy not only to Velur but to the whole world through his literary works. It is believed that the Velur church was founded by Arnos Padiri about three centuries ago on 3 December 1712 in honor of St. Francis Xavier. Recently a new Church is constructed near the old church.
Web : www.velurchurch.in
FB : www.facebook.com/velurchurchonline
Manimalarkavu temple (one of the 18 royal temples (pathinettara kavu) under Cochin Kingdom) is a major place of worship for Hindus in Velur. "Manimalarkavu pooram" festival (or KUMBA BHARANI usually it falls between February 15 to March 10 ) is one of the major attractions of tourists as it is colourful by the man-made horses of very huge sizes, which is rarely seen in other places. These man made horses (considers the daughter of the goddess) representing from each small localities (desham ) from this village (including from some neighbouring villages) and this festival is known as Kumbha Bharani. During these days many devi (goddess) temples in Kerala celebrating the yearly festivals in different ways.
Other places of worship
There are many other worship places in Velur village. They are mainly Cheramankadu ayyapan temple, Velur Karthiani temple, Kandamkolangara Shiva temple, Cherunthala Shiva temple, Kurur Krishna temple, Kuttikattukolangare Devi temple, pazhavoor Ayyappan Kavu Temple, Pazhavoor Sree Kottayil Bagavathy Temple, Nelluvai Dhanwandhari Temple, Thayyur Nithya Sahaya Matha Church,Thayyoor Subramaniyaswami Temple, Thayyoor Lothykavu Temple, St. Antoney's church Thandilum, Sree Rama Swami Temple Vellatanjur, Santhanagopalamurthy Temple Kuruvannur, Sri Parikkal Bagwathi Temple Puliyannur and Thandilum Mosque.
Places of interest
- St. Francis Xavier Forane Church(govt. protected monument)
- Arnos Padiri Building
- Manimalarkavu Temple
- Kodasheri Mala
- Cheernthala Sheva Temple
- Karthyane Temple
- Thayyur Kotta
- Govt.R S R V H S S Velur.
- Vidya Engineering College Vidya Academy of Science and Technology
- St. Xavier’s U P School, St. Francis Xavier’s Nursery School
- PMLP School Kiraloor
- SAL SABEEL LP School(CBSE), Kurumal (Kiraloor)
- Sri Vigneswra CBSE School, Kiraloor Road, Velur Chungam
- RMLP School, Velur West
- FATRI – Family apostolate training & research institute.
- Lisieux Ashramam
- Lisieux College, Naduvilangadi
- Lisieux College,Road
- Kinnari Magazines, Naduvilangadi
- Sanjo Bhavan of sisters of St. Joseph the worker, Velur Bazar
- St.Thomas UPS Puliannur
- Govt.HS School, Thayyur
The village has some important government offices - like the Village office, post office, KSEB Section Office,South Indian Bank,Velur Service Co operative Bank (3 Branches), Krishi BHavan, Telephone Exchange (BSNL) etc. The village is covered under all cellular / mobile operators (GSM and CDMA) and 4G Coverage by Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited in Kerala circle.
Famous personalities from Velur
- Somy P T- Footballer
- Pushpakaran K K - Artist The Pollock-Krasner Foundation(America) Fellowship Winner 2014
- Website : Velur Grama Panchayath
- Velur Church Website : www.velurchurch.in
- Page hosted by Local Self Government Department of Govt. of Kerala: Velur Grama Panchayath
- Velur Panchayath History
- "Panchayat Level Statistics 2001, Thrissur District" (PDF). Government of Kerala. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- Pillai, R. Chandran (2001). A Hand Book on Protected Monuments of Kerala. Department of Archaeology, Government of Kerala. OCLC 63125677.
- Mathew, K. S. (2001). The Portuguese and the socio-cultural changes in India, 1500-1800. Institute for Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, MESHAR. p. 463. ISBN 978-81-900166-6-7.