Venezuelan Observatory of Social Conflict
Observatorio Venezolano de Conflictividad Social
|Marco Antonio Ponce|
The Venezuelan Observatory of Social Conflict (Spanish: Observatorio Venezolano de Conflictividad Social, OVCS) is a Venezuelan non-governmental organization that was founded in 2010 which focuses on promoting human rights and studying social conflict in Venezuela.
The Venezuelan Observatory of Social Conflict is affiliated with various NGOs and institutions such as the Organization of American States, Central University of Venezuela and the Latin American Council of Social Sciences.
The General Coordinator of, Marco Antonio Ponce, has been intimidated by the Venezuelan government on multiple occasions. He is often followed by SEBIN personnel, has his image placed on Venezuelan state media with crosshairs on him and has Venezuelan officials denounce him.
Beginning in October 2014, Ponce had been accused of conspiracy by then President of the National Assembly, Diosdado Cabello, on his state television show, Hitting with the Sledge Hammer. In March 2015, Cabello even revealed the date and time of Ponce's arrival back to Venezuela on air and once Ponce arrived, he and other human rights advocates were intimidated by armed individuals who took their photographs and followed them to their vehicles.
- "Misión y Visión". Observatorio Venezolano de Conflictividad Social. 11 September 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Venezuela investigating death of protester as unrest rises". Associated Press. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- Wilson, Peter (19 June 2016). "Venezuela's Season of Starvation". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- Gupta, Girish; Ulmer, Alexandra (12 June 2016). "'We want food!' Looting and riots rock Venezuela daily". Reuters. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- Minaya, Ezequiel (17 February 2014). "Venezuelan Opposition Leader Says He Will Risk Arrest". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Aliados". Observatorio Venezolano de Conflictividad Social. 11 September 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- Arrizabalaga, Monica (15 April 2015). "Marco Antonio Ponce, el activista venezolano de derechos humanos en el punto de mira de Diosdado Cabello" (in Spanish). ABC. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "El Observatorio: Venezuela: Continuo hostigamiento y amenazas públicas en contra del Sr. Marco Antonio Ponce y de la Sra. Liliana Ortega Mendoza". International Federation for Human Rights (in French). Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Venezuela 2015/2016". Amnesty International. Retrieved 23 June 2016.