Vengeance: A Love Story
|Vengeance: A Love Story|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Johnny Martin|
|Produced by||Nicolas Cage|
|Screenplay by||John Mankiewicz|
|Based on||Rape: A Love Story|
by Joyce Carol Oates
Deborah Kara Unger
|Music by||Frederik Wiedmann|
Vengeance: A Love Story is a 2017 American thriller film directed by Johnny Martin and written by John Mankiewicz. It is based on the 2003 novel Rape: A Love Story by Joyce Carol Oates. The film stars Nicolas Cage, Don Johnson, Anna Hutchison, Talitha Bateman and Deborah Kara Unger. The film was released on September 15, 2017, by FilmRise.
A policeman investigating a single mother's rape soon takes matters into his own hands after the attackers are acquitted in court.
- Nicolas Cage as John Dromoor
- Anna Hutchison as Teena Maguire
- Talitha Bateman as Bethie Maguire
- Deborah Kara Unger as Agnes
- Don Johnson as Jay Kirkpatrick
- Joshua Mikel as Marvin Fick
- Charlene Tilton as Mrs. Irma Fick
- Dikran Tulaine as Mr. Walter Fick
- Mike Pniewski as Judge Schpiro
- Marc Coppola as Dr. Collins
- Francois Xavier Declie as Father Muldoon
- Michael Papajohn as JJ Breen
- Jwaundace Candece as Night Nurse
- Elizabeth Hunter as Annie
- Dwayne Boyd as Det. Lyle
- Emily Sandifer as Ursula
- Rey Herrnandez as Trooper #1 (Craig)
Originally, production with Samuel L. Jackson, Dianne Wiest and Abigail Breslin associated, was set to be filmed in Michigan in 2009, under its film incentive program. Scouts arrived in fall 2008 and production was halted. On February 7, 2016, Nicolas Cage joined the cast of the film. On March 8, 2016, it was announced Nicolas Cage would direct the film, though he later dropped out of directing. On April 22, 2016, Anna Hutchison joined the cast. On May 12, 2016, Don Johnson joined the cast. Principal photography began on April 21, 2016.
The film was released direct to video in the United Kingdom on March 27, 2017. In the United States, the film was released on September 15, 2017, by FilmRise. The Los Angeles Times was negative towards the film, criticizing the script as "melodramatic" and "ham-handed," the directing as "heavy-handed" and "cliché-ridden," and Cage's performance of John Dromoor as "detached."
- "Vengeance: A Love Story (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2017-09-18.
- Dave McNary (2016-02-07). "Berlin: Nicolas Cage Starring in 'Vengeance: a Love Story'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "Anna Hutchison Joins Nicolas Cage in 'Vengeance: A Love Story'". Thewrap.com. 2016-04-22. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "Cannes: Don Johnson Joins 'Vengeance: A Love Story' (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. 2016-05-12. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- Dave McNary (2016-03-08). "Nicolas Cage Directing 'Vengeance: A Love Story'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "On the Set for 4/22/16: Denzel Washington & Scott Rudin Roll Cameras on 'Fences', Will Smith Wraps 'Collateral Beauty'". SSN Insider. 2016-04-22. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "Vengeance: A Love Story en DVD ou Blu Ray". Allocine.fr. Retrieved 2017-09-18.
- Rechtshaffen, Michael (September 15, 2017). "A remote Nicolas Cage doesn’t help the melodramatic 'Vengeance: A Love Story'". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 1, 2018.