Vengeance of the Zombies
|Vengeance of the Zombies|
|Directed by||León Klimovsky|
|Produced by||Jose Antonio Perez Giner|
|Written by||Paul Naschy|
|Music by||Juan Carlos Calderón|
|Edited by||Antonio Ramírez de Loaysa|
Vengeance of the Zombies (Spanish: La rebelión de las muertas) is a 1973 horror film directed by León Klimovsky and starring Paul Naschy. The original Spanish title translates as Rebellion of the Dead Women, or simply Rebellion of the Dead.
In this zombie horror film, a mysterious man rampages throughout England killing unsuspecting women. Each time a victim is murdered, they are brought back to life by an East Indian named Kantaka to join his army of zombies.
- Paul Naschy as Krisna, Kantaka, and Satán
- Rommy as Elvire Irving
- Mirta Miller as Kala
- Vic Winner as Dr. Lawrence Radcliffe
- Maria Kosti as Elsie
- Luis Ciges as MacMurdo
The film was released theatrically in its native Spain in 1973. All Seasons Entertainment released the film was released on VHS in the United States in the 1980s. Deimos Entertainment, a subdivision of BCI Eclipse, released a special edition DVD in 2007.
Steve Barton of Dread Central rated it 4/5 stars and wrote, "Sexy, erotic, scary, and disturbing, Vengeance of the Zombies has it all!" Bloody Disgusting rated it 4/5 stars and wrote, "Vengeance of the Zombies is an exemplary reason as to why we should celebrate forgotten films. The film manages to play off of its unoriginality in the most entertaining way possible, catering to fans of deliciously cheesy cinema." Adam Tyner of DVD Talk wrote, "Naschy likened the movie to a drug-induced nightmare in his autobiography, and it's every bit as odd and incoherent as that suggests." Rafael Gamboa of DVD Verdict called it enjoyably bad. Writing in The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia, academic Peter Dendle called it "a plodding and unengaging zombie mystery".
- Newman, Kim (2011). Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s. Bloomsbury Publishing. p. 19–20. ISBN 9781408817506.
- Kane, Joe (2000). The Phantom of the Movies' Videoscope: The Ultimate Guide to the Latest, Greatest, and Weirdest Genre Videos. Three Rivers Press. p. 77. ISBN 9780812931495.
- Condit, Jon (2007-04-03). "BCI Brings Home Zombies, Werewolves". Dread Central. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
- Barton, Steve (2007-05-03). "Vengeance of the Zombies (DVD)". Dread Central. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
- "Vengeance of the Zombies". Bloody Disgusting. 2007-05-27. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
- Tyner, Adam (2008-06-29). "The Night of the Werewolf / Vengeance of the Zombies (Blu-ray)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
- Gamboa, Rafael (2007-06-15). "Vengeance Of The Zombies". DVD Verdict. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
- Dendle, Peter (2001). The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia. McFarland & Company. pp. 176–177. ISBN 978-0-7864-9288-6.