|• Total||25.43 km2 (9.82 sq mi)|
|Elevation||60 m (200 ft)|
|• Density||2,000/km2 (5,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Venkatagiri is a town in Nellore district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is a municipality and mandals headquarters of Venkatagiri mandal. Venkatagiri's old name is "Kali Mili". It is famous for its Handloom Cotton Sarees. Venkatagiri is a place for history and handlooms. It was part of a small kingdom that was integrated into the Indian Republic.
Vekatagiri was originally known as Kalimilli till 17th century and was ruled by Gobburi Polygars under Vijaynagar Empire. They were defeated by Recherla Venkatadri Naidu, Nayak of Madurantakam and the nephew of Raja of Velugodu, another vassal under Venkatapathi Raya II of Aravidu dynasty of Vijayanagar. The village was renamed as Venkatagiri. By mid 17th century the Velogothi rulers shifted their capital to Venkatagiri and it lasted as a Zamindari till independence. It was located between two rivers I.e kaivalya river and godderu river.
As of 2001[update] India census, Venkatagiri Mandal had a population of 80,000. Venkatagiri Rural consists of 58 Revenue Villages. Venkatagiri became municipality in 6-1-2005 by merging Venkatagiri, ChevireddiPalli, Periyavaram, Bangarupet, Ammavaripet and Manulalapet Panchayats.Total population of municipality is 52,478. Venkatagiri has an average literacy rate of 67%,higher than the national average of 59.5%. Total area of municipality is 23.50 km2.
Venkatagiri Sari woven in and around the town is one of the geographical indication from Andhra Pradesh and got registered by Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999.
Venkatagiri falls under Venkatagiri (Assembly constituency) of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly. It is in turn a part of Tirupati (Lok Sabha constituency). Neduramalli Janrdhan Reddy, Ex-CM of AP was represented as MLA from Venkatagiri AC from 1989-1994 & his wife Neduramalli RajayaLakshmi, Ex-Education minister of AP from 2004-2009, 2014 - till date Kurugondla Ramakrishna of Telugu Desam Party.
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English, Telugu. AP Residential School, RVM High School, RVRKY ZP Girls High School, AP Residential Junior College, IIHT, Visvodaya govt college and ESS Degree colleges are very old institutes in Venkatagiri Town. There is also a Central government school in venkatagiri, Kendriya Vidhyalaya.
- "Municipalities, Municipal Corporations & UDAs" (PDF). Directorate of Town and Country Planning. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Revenue Setup". Official website of Sri Potti Sri Ramulu Nellore District. National Informatics Centre. Archived from the original on 1 May 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- ALLADI JAGANNATHAySA^RI, b.a. & L.T. (1922). A FAMILY HISTORY OF VENKATAGIRI RAJAS. ADDISON PRESS, Madras. p. 41. ISBN 9785519483643.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Venkatagiri Town
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Brief about Municipality". Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Geographical Indication". The Hans India. 23 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "State Wise Registration Details of G.I Applications" (PDF). Geographical Indication Registry. p. 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 February 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "School Education Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2015. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education - Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Venkatagiri.|