|• Total||8.16 km2 (3.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||60 m (200 ft)|
|• Density||6,300/km2 (16,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Venkatagiri is a town in Nellore district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is a municipality and mandals headquarters of Venkatagiri mandal. Venkatagiri's old name is "Kali Mili". It is famous for its Handloom Cotton Sarees. Venkatagiri is a place for history and handlooms. It was part of a small kingdom that was integrated into the Indian Republic.
Venkatagiri was a small village near Kalivelamma temple with the name Kali Mili during Vijayanagar times which was ruled by Gobburu polygars. They were defeated by Venkatadri Naidu,brother's son of Raja who was ruling territories around Madurantakam in the 16th century. He renamed Kalimili with Vaishanava name "Venkatagiri". These Recherla rulers shifted their capital from Velugodu to Venkatagiri during the reign of Pedda Yachama Naidu. He also had ruled his southern territories with Madurantakam as second capital which was granted by Venkatapathi Raya II of Aravidu dynasty of Vijayanagar who ruled from Chandragiri. Later Venkatagiri Rajas abandoned Madhurantakam and ruled their southern territories with North Mallur in Chitoor district as their capital. Raja Bangaru Yachama Naidu Bahudur was trecherously murdered when he was unarmed in 1693AD on the day of Mahanavami by Zu-l-faqar khan, Nawab of vellore during reign of Aurangazeb. Later on 14 taluks were granted to Sarwagna Yachedra, son of assassinated King by Khan with the approval of Emperor in order to prevent heirs of the rajah from complaining to emperor about the murder. After this, the Administration of the kingdom has been transferred completely from north Mallur to Venkatagiri. Raja's Recherla clan was initiated in Nalgonda Dist in Amanagallu village by Chevi reddi around 1198AD – 1208 AD with the sacrifice of life by Rechadu, servant of Chevireddi. The "Gotram" of Venkatagiri rajas was named after him. As per oath gave to him Venkatagiri rajas are celebrating Jatara of Poleramma who is the chief deity of Rechadu's community. The celebration of Jatara in Venkatagiri traced to this tradition. Chevi Reddi also named as Pillalamarri Bethala Naidu was a close associate of Kakatiya King Ganapathi Deva. Rajas of Venkatagiri, Pitauram, Jetprole and Bobbili are his descendents. Thus Chevireddy was the origin person of Venkatagiri Velugoti dynasty of Padma Nayaka Velama Tribe. As per the permanent settlement made with Britishers an "Isthimiral" dated 24 August 1802 was issued to Rajah fixing an annual Periskash of Rs,4,44,232. Thus estate became part of British India. Venkatagiri samsthanam when it was a part of erstwhile Madras Presidency consisted of 736 Villages in addition to that it consisted 617 majara villages.
As of 2001[update] India census, Venkatagiri Mandal had a population of 80,000. Venkatagiri Rural consists of 58 Revenue Villages. Venkatagiri became municipality in 6-1-2005 by merging Venkatagiri,ChevireddiPalli,Periyavaram,Bangarupet,Ammavaripet and Manulalapet Panchayats.Total population of municipality is 52,478.Venkatagiri has an average literacy rate of 67%,higher than the national average of 59.5%.Total area of municipality is 23.50 SqKm.
NBPPL has a plan to establish manufacturing facility at Mannavaram in Sri Kalahasthi Mandal (Just 8 km away from Venkatagiri) for Balance of Plant, such as Coal Handling, Ash Handling Plant and also for the manufacture of main power plant equipment, such as Turbine, Generator, Boiler to meet the growing demand of power in the country. The manufacturing facility for BOP will be ready by 2011-12 followed by manufacturing facility for equipment like Turbine, Generator and Boiler likely to be established by 2014-15. Once fully established, installed capacity of the plant will be 5000 MW per year at an estimated total investment of Rs. 6000 crores.
Major crops grown around Venkatagiri are sugarcane, lemons, rice and groundnut. Considering the importance of lemon Plantation, the Lemon Research Centre was started in Venkatagiri by Ex-Chief Minister N.Janardhan Reddy. Venkatagiri is one out of twelve agricultural divisions in Nellore district. Kandeleru reservoir is built on Kandeluru river born in Veligondalu is in Rapur mandal. It serves Venkatagiri mandal irrigation requirements also. Kandaleru river is one of the check points of Telugu Ganga Project.
Venkatagiri Town is famous for the Jari Cotton handloom sarees. It is famous for "Jamdani" design which was imported from Bangladesh. Four Venkatagiri weavers won President award for weaving this design. Around 20,000 people in Venkatagiri depend on weaving.
It is located on the way from Nellore to Tirupathi.It's Just 88 km from Nellore and just 50 km from Tirupathi.Just 3 hours journey from venkatagiri to Chennai.
Venkatagiri Will be Just 320 km to Bangalore and Just 135 km to Chennai.
It is Just 35 km to Tirupathi International Air port, It will be half an hour drive to Tirupathi international Airport. Famous Shiva Temple Srikalahastri just 30 km from Venkatagiri, and world famous temple located in tirumala is just 78 km from Venkatagiri.
Railway Facility from Venkatagiri to Adilabad,Secunderabad,Vijayawada, Guntur,Tirupathi,vizag,Bilaspur.
- Venkatagiri is a place for sarees and saree designs.Geographical Identification has been granted to Venkatagiri sarees in 2013.
- Poleramma Jatara is celebrated with grandeur. Though Kalivelamma is the village goddess, Poleramma Jatara which is the custom of Rajas became very famous.
- There is a famous Lord Shiva temple Kolithota and village God for the people of Amuduru.It is located from Venkatagiri around 8 km through "AMUDURU" village and just before the forest.
- Venkatagiri Durgam, a rock fort about 8 miles West of Venkatagiri Town was a defensive arrangement made by Rajah of Venkatagiri. The Venkatagiri Durgam trail is still untouched other than by the locals and a few adventure groups and is not yet a regular destination for the trekkers. The trekking path is covered with small to medium-sized pebbles, and you pass through thick thorny bushes, beautiful mountains, steep rocky mountains and waterfalls.
- Venkatagiri Fort built in 1775AD attracts visitors from all over the district. Front portion of the fort namely "Indra Mahal" was built in 1883AD.
- Venkatagiri is surrounded by a dense forest extending to the Tirupati Hills. This forest houses many places of natural beauty like Kona Malleshwara Kona. Water falls falling from 80 ft. height and also 300 years old "Shiva Lingam".
- Kasi Viswanadha temple was built by Bangaru Yachama Naidu in 1760 AD on the banks of Kaivalya river.
- Sri Gowrabathini Rudra Murthy Swamy belonging to 1676 AD in Manulalapet. He is a sage of the 17th century who got Jeeva Samadhi in Manulalapet area.
- Mallamma Temple belongs to the 19th century is located in middle of the town. Mallamma is a lady belonging to Manulalapet area who underwent Sati during 1847-48 AD. The temple was built in her memoir.
Assembly and Parliamentary Constituency
Venkatagiri is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh. There are 1,84,082 registered voters in Venkatagiri constituency in 2009 elections.
Venkatagiri Assembly Constituency falls under Tirupati Lok Sabha Constituency. This constituency is reserved for the candidates belonging to the Scheduled castes.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Venkatagiri.|
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Municipal Administration & Urban Development Department. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Revenue Setup". Official website of Sri Potti Sri Ramulu Nellore District. National Informatics Centre. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Venkatagiri Town
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.