Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety|
Packaging for the North American Genesis version.
|Genre(s)||Beat 'em up|
Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety is a side-scrolling beat 'em up video game and sequel to Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage, released for Mega Drive/Genesis and Super NES and then ported to PC. One or two players team up as Spider-Man and Venom to defeat the evil symbiote Carnage. The game boasts a large number of thugs that the player has to defeat: heavily armed Jury and Venom's symbiote children. There is also cameo assistance from Captain America, Ghost Rider, Hawkeye, and Daredevil.
Though the game is titled after the comic book series Venom: Separation Anxiety, the story more closely follows the events of Venom's first limited series, Venom: Lethal Protector. The game's plot loosely follows Lethal Protector in the following ways:
- Appearance of Spider-Man (in Lethal Protector #1.)
- Confronting the digger in San Francisco (as seen in Lethal Protector #1.)
- Discovering the underground city (as seen in Lethal Protector #1.)
- Appearance of The Jury (as seen in Lethal Protector #2.)
- Removal of five symbiote seeds to create five new symbiotes (as seen in Lethal Protector #4.)
- Spider-Man and Venom's escape from the Life Foundation (as seen in Lethal Protector #5.)
- Confronting the five symbiotes at the Life Foundation Headquarters (as seen in Lethal Protector #5.)
The game received mixed to positive reviews. GamePro Magazine gave the Genesis version an 8/10, stating "With all it's faults, Separation Anxiety still delivers rock 'em-sock 'em action. It's well worth playing through the next time your spider sense begins to tingle." However, Electronic Gaming Monthly only gave the Genesis port a 4.75/10, while Sega-16 rated it 4/10. The SNES port has an overall rating of 61.50% on Game Rankings.com, while Nintendo Power gave the SNES version 3.25/5. Average gamers have generally rated the game higher, with the game holding a rank of 8/10 on GameSpot.
- "Venom • Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety for Sega Genesis". Moby Games. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- "Venom - Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety for Genesis". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- "Venom - Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety for SNES". Game Rankings. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- "Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety for Genesis, SNES, PC". Game Spot. Retrieved 2015-11-19.