|Peter Johnson (studio head)|
Venom Games Limited was a British video game developer based in Gateshead, England. The studio was established by Peter Johnson in 2003 and succeeded Rage Newcastle. Take-Two Interactive acquired the company in 2004, where it became part of the 2K label in 2005 and was closed down in July 2008.
Venom Games was established in 2003 as successor to the previously closed Rage Newcastle, a studio of Rage Games, and headed by Peter Johnson as studio head. In 2004, the company was acquired by Take-Two Interactive. The deal's negotiations were handled by law firm Weightmans. On 25 January 2005, Take-Two Interactive announced the opening of publishing label 2K, which would henceforth manage their development studios, including Venom Games.
On 2 July 2008, employees of Venom Games were informed that the company was due to close at the end of the month. Take-Two Interactive confirmed that they were "assessing the role of Venom Games" and considering "possible redundancies", though no final decision would be made "until after the consultation with employees". Venom Games still shut down that year.
|2004||Rocky: Legends||PlayStation 2||Ubisoft|
|2006||Prey||Xbox 360||2K Games|
|2008||Don King Presents: Prizefighter||2K Sports|
- MCV Staff (2 July 2008). "Venom Games to close?". MCV/Develop.
- GamesIndustry International (16 March 2009). "Peter Johnson appointment". GamesIndustry.biz. Archived from the original on 18 December 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- GamesIndustry International (6 February 2006). "Legal Firm To Appeal To The Development And Publishing Community - Weightmans". GamesIndustry.biz. Archived from the original on 18 December 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- Jenkins, David (25 January 2005). "Take-Two Acquires Visual Concepts, Announces 2K Games Brand". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 16 August 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- Martin, Matt (3 July 2008). "Venom Games to close doors this month?". GamesIndustry.biz. Archived from the original on 18 December 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- Androvich, Mark (3 July 2008). "Take-Two confirms possible Venom redundancies". GamesIndustry.biz. Archived from the original on 18 December 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- MCV Staff (4 July 2008). "2K 'assessing role of Venom'". MCV/Develop.
- Plunkett, Luke (16 January 2012). "Every Game Studio That's Closed Down Since 2006". Kotaku. Archived from the original on 2 June 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.