|Past members||Buzz Osborne|
Venomous Concept is a hardcore punk band formed by Kevin Sharp of Brutal Truth and Shane Embury of Napalm Death in 2004. Sharp and Embury were joined by Danny Herrera and Buzz Osborne, who was later replaced by Danny Lilker. They have released three albums: Retroactive Abortion (2004), Poisoned Apple (2008), and Kick Me Silly VCIII (2016). They have also released two split albums: one with Japanese grindcore band 324 (2006), and the other with Australian extreme metal band Blood Duster (2008). The band's name is a play on Poison Idea, in the style of name-mangling Japanese hardcore acts.
In February 2004, Kevin Sharp was the tour driver for Napalm Death on The Art of Noise tour with Nile, Strapping Young Lad, Dark Tranquillity and The Berzerker. Shane Embury and Sharp were already acquainted, and "some beers, pizza and old vinyl classics by Poison Idea, Black Flag and Systematic Death" renewed their friendship. They decided to start a band together. Embury remembered:
Napalm were on tour with Nile and when the driver had to leave, Kevin Sharp who sang for Brutal Truth, stood in for him. I ended up going back to Chicago with him and we said, "Hey, how come we've never been in a band together? We both loved mid-80's punk, we both loved Poison Idea and Black Flag", so that was the starting point.
They recruited Buzz Osborne of The Melvins on guitar and Napalm Death's Danny Herrera on drums, and recorded their debut Retroactive Abortion (2004) on Mike Patton's Ipecac Recordings. The band replaced Osborne with Danny Lilker for their second album, Poisoned Apple (2008).
Venomous Concept are currently working on material for their third album.
- Shane Embury (Napalm Death) – guitar
- Danny Herrera (Napalm Death) – drums
- Danny Lilker (Brutal Truth, Nuclear Assault) – bass
- Kevin Sharp (Brutal Truth, Primate) – vocals
- John "Johnny Cheeseburger" Cooke (touring musicians for Napalm Death) – guitar
- Studio albums
- Split CD/7" with 324 (2006)
- Split 7" with Blood Duster (2008)
- "Venomous Concept Signs with Century Media Records". Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Blood Duster/Venomous Concept Split 7" Available Now". Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. February 19, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Travers, Paul. Kerrang! No. 1310, May 01 2010. Albums. Treasure Chest. Shane Embury. p. 54.
- True, Chris. Venomous Concept at AllMusic. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Bowar, Chad. "Venomous Concept - Poisoned Apple Review". About.com. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Venomous Concept Working on New Material". Blabbermouth.net. October 11, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2013.