Ventnor City School District
|Ventnor City School District|
|400 N. Lafayette Avenue
Ventnor, NJ 08406
|Business administrator||Terri Nowotny|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||905 (as of 2011-12)|
|District Factor Group||B|
Ventnor City School District is a community public school district that serves students in pre-Kindergarten through eighth grade from Ventnor City, in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. The school's motto is VECC: We Think Achievement.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "B", the second lowest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Public school students in ninth through twelfth grades, along with those from Brigantine, Longport and Margate City, attend Atlantic City High School in neighboring Atlantic City, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Atlantic City School District that has existed since 1920. As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 2,005 students and 196.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.2:1. The Ventnor district has considered options for an alternative high school sending relationship.
The Ventnor City School District operates two schools for PreK-8 within the Ventnor Educational Community Complex. Schools in the district (with 2011-12 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics) are:
- Ventnor Elementary School with 501 students in grades PreK-5
- Principal - Carmela Somershoe
- Ventnor Middle School with 404 students in grades 6-8
- Principal - Rob Baker
The original school was built in 1970, with renovations in 1974, 1997 and 2001.
- Eileen Johnson, Superintendent
- Terri Nowotny, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Ventnor City School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- Atlantic City Public School District 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 5, 2016. "Our Pre-K through 8th grade schools serve Atlantic City, while our high school serves the students of Atlantic City, Ventnor, Brigantine, Margate and Longport."
- School Data for Atlantic City High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed June 5, 2016.
- Lemongello, Steven. "Ventnor school district waiting, watching as Brigantine attempts to pull students from Atlantic City High School", The Press of Atlantic City, March 14, 2011. Accessed October 25, 2014. "The Brigantine School District has already sought to sever its relationship with Atlantic City High School, and now Ventnor is weighing its options. The Ventnor School District is in a 'wait-and-see pattern' when it comes to Brigantine's bid to send its students to Cedar Creek High School in Egg Harbor City, Ventnor Superintendent Carmine Bonanni said. A successful effort by Brigantine could lead the way for Ventnor, one of three other Atlantic City High School sending districts, to make a change."
- School Data for the Ventnor City School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Ventnor City School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Ventnor Elementary School, Ventnor City School District. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- Administration, Ventnor City School District. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- Ventnor Middle School, Ventnor City School District. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Atlantic County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 25, 2014.
- Ventnor Educational Community Complex
- Ventnor City School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Ventnor City School District, National Center for Education Statistics