Parts of this article (those related to Supported codecs & client platforms) need to be updated.(January 2017)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)
|Developer(s)||Flagship Industries, Inc.|
|Initial release||3 August 2002|
4.1.4 / 16 November 2022
|Operating system||Windows, macOS|
|Type||VoIP, instant messaging|
Ventrilo (or Vent for short) is a proprietary VoIP software that includes text chat.
The Ventrilo client and server are both available as freeware for use with up to 8 people on the same server. Rented servers can maintain up to 400 people. The Ventrilo server is available under a limited license for Microsoft Windows and macOS and is accessible on FreeBSD Kopi, Solaris and NetBSD. The client is available for Windows and macOS. However, the macOS client is still unable to properly use most servers because of a lack of support for the sparsely used GSM codec. Flagship Industries does not offer a Linux Ventrilo client. Third party Ventrilo clients are available for mobile devices, such as Ventrilode for iPhone and Ventriloid for Android.
Ventrilo supports the GSM Full Rate codec and used to support the Speex codec, which Ventrilo 4.0.0 replaced with the Opus codec.
Ventrilo is sometimes used by gamers who use the software to communicate with other players on the same team of a multiplayer game, or for general chat. This usage inspired the 2006 smash single "Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA" by Swedish artist Basshunter.
Flagship Industries Inc. has been involved in several copyright infringement cases as plaintiff.
- ^ macOS 13 issues (Ventrilo Tech Support)
- ^ So How many users can I have? (Ventrilo Tech Support)
- ^ "Ventrilo for Conversation". botwr.com. Best of the Web Review. 12 August 2008. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- ^ "Ventrilo Linux/ Unix client Pending Release". Ventrilo Tech Support. 30 May 2005. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
The Ventrilo / Linux client tech support forum is here pending the official release of the client. At the current time we do not have an official release date. Once we do it will be posted here...
- ^ "Ventrilode - a third party Ventrilo client for iPhone".
- ^ "Ventriloid - a third party Ventrilo client for Android".
"Copyright Infringement: Flagship Industries, Inc. v. John Doe". Illinois Southern District Court: RFC Express. 2 May 2008. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
Court Case Number: 3:08-cv-00327-GPM-DGW
- ^ "Copyright Infringement: Flagship Industries, Inc. v. John Doe". Illinois Northern District Court: RFC Express. 6 March 2009. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
Court Case Number: 1:09-cv-01429