Ventspils University College
Ventspils University College (VUC) was founded in 1997 as a self-governing state university college and a scientific institution. Its basic activity is to carry out scientific research and to implement academic and professional study programmes. On May 20, 2013, VUC acquired scientific institution status, which shows that it has met all state-adopted criteria for a scientific body.
Ventspils University College has an elected rector, currently Kārlis Krēsliņš. The university has three faculties, a library and a few scientific institutions.
Faculty of Information Technologies
- Dean: Māris Ēlerts
This is the newest faculty founded in 2006. There are available programmes that provide bachelor's and master's degrees in Computer Science and Electronics. In 2014 it is planned to establish a new international study programme in English, thus allowing foreign students to obtain a bachelor's degree.
Faculty of Economics and Management
- Dean: Liene Resele
Current study programmes allow to get a bachelor's, master's or PhD degree in Business Administration, therefore providing professional workforce for a large number of local companies.
Faculty of Translation Studies
- Dean: Aiga Veckalne
This faculty currently is the most popular by the number of enrolled students. One of the main objectives is to prepare the intercultural communication specialists with foreign language skills for the work in EU institutions and other international organizations.
Centre for Applied Linguistics
The Centre for Applied Linguistics of Ventspils University College is an internationally recognized scientific institution that specializes in language and translation as well as technology applications.
Centre for Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Regional Development
Centre for Entrepreneurship Innovation and Regional Development is financially inspired by the Ventspils City Municipality and aims to enhance the intellectual potential of Ventspils City, Kurzeme Region and Latvia. It focus on performing scientific work in the areas of entrepreneurship, innovation and regional development.
Ventspils International Radio Astronomy Centre – VIRAC
The Technology transfer centre of Kurzeme
This centre analyzes the ability of Engineering research centre of Ventspils University College and Ventspils International Radioastronomy Center to offer businessmen research services in accordance with businessmen needs and promotes the cooperation between Latvian and European scientists and businessmen.
Ventspils University College has Erasmus Bilateral Agreements with more than 60 universities. Some of these include:
- Jānis Vucāns (b. 1956), former rector of Ventspils University College, politician
- Dana Reizniece-Ozola (b. 1981), chess player, politician
- Haralds Silovs (b. 1986), long track and former short track speed skater
- Madara Palameika (b. 1987), javelin thrower
- "VUC". Ventspils Augstskola. 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- Ventspils Augstskola Academic Bachelor's Study Program "Languages And Intercultural Communication"
- "Centre for Applied Linguistics". Ventspils Augstskola. 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Centre for Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Regional Development". Ventspils Augstskola. 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Irbene Radio Astronomy Center". Latvian Tourism Development Agency. 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "The Technology transfer centre of Kurzeme". Ventspils Augstskola. 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "ViA Partner Universities". Ventspils Augstskola. 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2014.