Venus de miles
||This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (April 2010) (|
Venus de Miles is an all-women's bike ride in Colorado and Illinois. The event is organized by and benefits Greenhouse Scholars, a nonprofit organization that provides scholarship, mentorship, leadership training, and more to high-performing, under-resourced students in college.
About the Ride
Venus de Miles is a non-competitive ride that started in 2008 with 650 riders and grew to over 2,000 riders in 2011. The Colorado course starts and ends in Prospect New Town, Longmont, Colorado, and the routes range in distance from 30 to 100 miles long. The Illinois course is new in 2012 and will start and end in Lake Forest. The festival following the ride includes gourmet lunch, spa services, a cocktail lounge, and live music. Top sponsors are Trek  and WhiteWave Foods.. 100% of net income from Venus de Miles benefit the students of Greenhouse Scholars, and the event raises funds to provide scholarships and other support services to approximately 16 students each year.
Competitor Magazine named Venus de Miles the Best Cycling Event in Colorado in 2009, and several renowned athletes ride in the event each year, including Alison Dunlap, Susie Wargin, Connie Carpenter-Phinney, Tricia Downing, and Colleen Cannon.
Venus de Miles Bike Club
Full Cycle, a bike store in Boulder and Fort Collins, started the Full Cycle Venus de Miles Bike Club [permanent dead link] as a way to train for the Venus de Miles ride, introduce women to cycling, have fun, and benefit Greenhouse Scholars. This club now includes over 100 members and over 600 followers. Additional Venus de Miles bike clubs will be added in more cities in the future.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Cycle and Style online Magazine: "What's not to Love about the Venus de Miles?" March 2010. http://cycleandstyle.com/2010/03/whats-not-to-love-about-the-venus-de-miles/
- Bicycling Magazine, "Special Women's Section; Unleash your inner Goddess" September 2008. http://web.archive.org/web/20080922041538/http://www.bicycling.com:80/article/0,6610,s1-4-404-17750-1-P,00.html
- Elephant Journal: "Pedal Forward, Give Back: Venus de Miles All-Women Bike Ride" July 2009. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2009/07/pedal-forward-give-back-venus-de-miles-all-women-bike-race/
- 303Cycling, "Venus de Miles Women's Bike Club" March 2009. http://303cycling.com/Venus-de-Miles-Womens-Bike-Club
- 9 News live interview in August 2009. http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=120845
- 9 News live interview in March 2008. http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=96736