Still image from Encyclopédie audiovisuelle de l'art contemporain, 1996
Vera Molnar, born 1924 in Hungary, is one of the pioneers of computer and algorithmic arts. Trained as a traditional artist, Molnar studied for a diploma in art history and aesthetics at the Budapest College of Fine Arts. She iterated combinatorial images from as early as 1959. In 1968 she began working with computers, where she began to create algorithmic paintings based on simple geometric shapes and geometrical themes.
Molnar created her first non-representational images in 1946. These where abstract geometrical and systematically determined paintings. In 1947 she received an artists’ fellowship to study in Rome at the Villa Giulia, and shortly after moved to France, where she currently resides. In the 1960s, Molnar co-founded several artist research groups: GRAV, who investigate collaborative approaches to mechanical and kinetic art, and Art et Informatique, with a focus on art and computing. Molnar learned the early programming languages of Fortran and Basic, and gained access to a computer at a research lab in Paris where she began to make computer graphic drawings on a plotter, several of which are included in a 2015 retrospective exhibition in New York City called "Regarding the Infinite | Drawings 1950-1987". Molnar is part of an exhibit, On Line: Drawing Through the Twentieth Century at the Museum of Modern Art, which demonstrates the history of drawing lines. In 2005 Molnar received the DAM Digital Arts Award for her life’s work, which includes €20,000 prize, and a cataloged exhibition. Vera Molnar’s exhibit,(Un)Ordnung.(Dés)Ordre. at the Museum Haus Konstruktiv shows her early freehand drawings never exhibited before, from her late-1960s to the new installation at Museum Haus Konstruktiv.
- "FIELD x Exploring art + technology to create new formats of visual communication". Field.io. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Artists :: Phase One :: Vera Molnar". DAM.org. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Vera Molnar | Database of Digital Art". Dada.compart-bremen.de. 1924-01-05. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Senior & Shopmaker Gallery — Vera Molnar: Regarding the Infinite | Drawings 1950-1987". Seniorandshopmaker.com. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Vera Molnar Regarding the Infinite Drawings 1950-1987". www.artnet.com. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Vera Molnar | MoMA". The Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Cotter, Holland (2010-12-01). "'On Line': Drawings Leap Off the Page at MoMA - Review". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Vera Molnar - DDAA en". Ddaa-online.org. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "|Ddaa| - Ddaa En". Ddaa-online.org. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- Museum Haus Konstruktiv (2015-02-16), Vera Molnar - (Un)Ordnung. (Dés)Ordre., retrieved 2017-03-31
- team, Museum Haus Konstruktiv. "VERA MOLNAR(UN)ORDNUNG. (DES)ORDRE. 2017". www.hauskonstruktiv.ch. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Vera Molnar / Haus Konstruktiv Zurich". Elusive Magazine. Retrieved 2017-03-31.