Born in Tomsk, she trained in Petrograd at Akim Volynsky's School of Russian Ballet, also studying with the renowned Russian ballet mistress Agrippina Vaganova. She danced professionally with various ensembles such as the GATOB and the Flying Russian Ballet before defecting in 1929.
She spent a number of years teaching at the Sadler's Wells Ballet and Sadler's Wells Ballet School, training some of the leading English dancers of the 20th Century. She also taught at the Ballet School of the La Scala Theatre in Milan. She became a permanent teacher at the Royal Danish Ballet school, again training some of the school's greatest dancers.
Her students include
- Carla Fracci, former Principal of Italian La Scala theatre
- Alicia Alonso, Cuban Prima Ballerina Assoluta and founder of the Cuban National Ballet
- Erik Bruhn, former Principal of the Royal Danish Ballet
- Henry Danton, former Soloist of the Sadler's Wells Ballet
- Dame Margot Fonteyn, English Prima Ballerina Assoluta of The Royal Ballet
- Henning Kronstam, former Principal of the Royal Danish Ballet
- Gillian Lynne, former Principal of The Royal Ballet, now a renowned musical theatre chroeographer
- Peter Martins, former Principal of the Royal Danish Ballet and New York City Ballet
- Sir Peter Wright, former Principal dancer and Artistic Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet
- Eva Evdokimova, international guest dancer, recognised as a Prima Ballerina Assoluta
- Alexander Meinertz, 'Vera Volkova, a biography', Alton, Hampshire : Dance Books, 2007, 186 p. ISBN 978-1-85273-111-3.
- Camille Hardy, 'Vera Volkova Revealed, A Biography, By Alexander Meinertz', Dance Chronicle, Volume 31, Issue 2, May 2008, pp. 279–284. doi:10.1080/01472520802118525.
- Meinertz, Alexander. 'Vera Volkova – a biography (Alton: Dance Books 2007). ISBN 978 1852731113.
|This article about someone associated with the art of ballet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Soviet Union–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|