Wang in 2007
June 27, 1949 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
(m. 1989; separated 2012)
|Awards||CFDA's womenswear designer of the year, 2005; André Leon Talley Lifetime Achievement Award|
|Labels||Vera Ellen Wang|
Early life and education
Vera Ellen Wang was born and raised in New York City, and is of Chinese descent. Her parents were born in China, and came to the United States in the mid-1940s. Her mother, Florence Wu, worked as a translator for the United Nations, while her father, Cheng Ching Wang, owned a medicine company. Her maternal grandfather is Fengtian clique warlord Wu Junsheng, who was killed by the Empire of Japan in the Huanggutun incident in 1928. Wang has one younger brother, Kenneth.
Wang graduated from The Chapin School in 1967, attended the University of Paris and earned a degree in art history from Sarah Lawrence College. Wang began figure skating at the age of eight. While in high school, she trained with pairs partner James Stuart, and competed at the 1968 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. She was featured in Sports Illustrated's Faces in the Crowd in the January 9, 1968 issue. When she failed to make the US Olympics team, she entered the fashion industry. Wang continues to enjoy skating, saying, "Skating is multidimensional".
Wang was hired to be an editor at Vogue immediately upon graduation from Sarah Lawrence, making her the youngest editor at that magazine. She stayed at Vogue for 17 years, leaving in 1987 to join Ralph Lauren, who she worked for 2 years. At 40, she resigned and became an independent bridal wear designer.
Wang has made wedding gowns for many well-known public figures, such as Chelsea Clinton, Karenna Gore, Ivanka Trump, Campbell Brown, Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Victoria Beckham, Avril Lavigne, Hilary Duff, Khloe Kardashian, and Kim Kardashian. Wang's evening wear has also been worn by Michelle Obama.
She has designed costumes for figure skaters, including Nancy Kerrigan, Michelle Kwan and Evan Lysacek. Silver medalist Nancy Kerrigan wore a unique design of Vera's for the 1994 Olympics. She designed the uniforms worn by the Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleaders.
On October 23, 2001, her book, Vera Wang on Weddings, was released. In June 2005, she won the CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America) Womenswear Designer of the Year. On May 27, 2006, Wang was awarded the André Leon Talley Lifetime Achievement Award from the Savannah College of Art and Design. Wang was inducted into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 2009 for her contribution to the sport as a costume designer.
She has also designed a tux for William Burge.
In 1990, she opened her own design salon in the Carlyle Hotel in New York City that features her trademark bridal gowns. She has since opened bridal boutiques in New York, London, Tokyo and Sydney. Wang has also expanded her brand name through her fragrance, jewellery, eyewear, shoe and homeware collections.
'White by Vera Wang' launched on February 11, 2011 at David's Bridal. Prices of the bridal gowns range from $600–$1,400 which gives more brides a more affordable way to wear Vera's designs. In 2002, Wang began to enter the home fashion industry and launched The Vera Wang China and Crystal Collection, followed by the 2007 release of her diffusion line called Simply Vera, which are sold exclusively by Kohl's. In Spring of 2012, Wang teamed up with Men's Wearhouse to offer two tuxedo styles available in both the retail and rental areas of their inventory. In June 2012, she expanded in Australia with the opening of "Vera Wang Bride Sydney" and her first Asian flagship store 'Vera Wang Bridal Korea', helmed by President Jung Mi-ri, in upmarket neighbourhood Cheongdam-dong in Gangnam-gu, Seoul.
In 1989, she married Arthur Becker in an interfaith Baptist and Jewish ceremony. They resided in Manhattan with their two adopted daughters: Cecilia (born 1990), who currently resides in New York City, and Josephine (born 1993), who attended The Chapin School and currently attends Harvard University. Becker was the CEO of an information technology services company called NaviSite until August 2010. In July 2012, Vera Wang Co. announced that the couple have separated. The separation was amicable.
In popular culture
Several movies and television shows have mentioned Wang's works.
In the Sex and the City TV series, Charlotte York found Wang's wedding dress to be the perfect wedding dress, and wore it for her wedding to Trey MacDougal. Wang's design was mentioned in the NBC television show The West Wing in the episode "The Black Vera Wang". In ABC's Ugly Betty TV series, Vera Wang makes a cameo as herself, designing a dress for Wilhelmina Slater's wedding to Bradford Meade.
In the film Sex and the City, Vera Wang was among the bridal gowns Carrie Bradshaw wore in her Vogue photo shoot. In the film Bride Wars, Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson wore custom-made Vera Wang gowns.
In one of Totally Spies! episodes, "The Wedding Crasher", a villain named Wera Van (parody of Vera Wang), desires revenge on those who rejected her wedding dress designs.
In the TV Series, Gossip Girl, Vera Wang is mentioned in multiple episodes and is one of Blair Waldorf's favourite designers. Blair has a wedding dress designed for her wedding to Prince Louis of Monaco by Vera Wang. Blair decides she can no longer wear it after losing her and Louis' baby in a car accident, and has another designed instead. The three bridesmaids in Blair's wedding wear Vera Wang bridemaids short dress.
Also in Revenge, Victoria Grayson, who is played by Madeleine Stowe, wears a steel gray Vera Wang mermaid gown in her second wedding with Conrad Grayson (Henry Czerny). The dress was actually shown in black at Wang's Fall 2012 show.
- Gossip Girl (2012) as herself
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians (2011) as herself
- Chelsea Lately (2011) as herself
- The Celebrity Apprentice (2008) as herself
- Ugly Betty (2007) as herself
- "Vera Wang Wed To Arthur Becker". The New York Times. June 23, 1989. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- Barsamian, Edward (December 20, 2011). "Vera on Ice". The New York Times. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- Sports Illustrated, December 15, 2006, p. 66
- Krohn, Katherine (2006). Vera Wang (A&E Biography). Twenty-First Century Books. p. 112. ISBN 0-8225-6612-5.
- "Vera Wang". Fashion Model Directory.
- "The 12 Most Stunning Vera Wang Brides". Vogue. 27 June 2014.
- "Gore's Eldest Daughter Weds New York Doctor In Washington". CNN. 12 July 1997.
- "NBC's Campbell Brown Gets Married". People. 2 April 2006.
- "Celebrities who wore Vera Wang on their wedding day". Hello!. 13 October 2013. p. 3.
- "Celebrities who wore Vera Wang on their wedding day". Hello!. 13 October 2013. p. 4.
- "MICHELLE OBAMA DONS VERA WANG". Elle Magazine. 5 December 2011.
- "Photos: 10 Best Dressed: Week of December 12, 2011". Vogue. December 2011.
- "Highlights". Philadelphia Eagles.
- "Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek in battle at figure skating nationals". USA Today. 22 January 2009.
- "Oscars 2012: Stars arrive". BBC News. 27 February 2012. Image 3 of 16.
- "Sofía Vergara Talks Wedding Dress: It Has to Be Vera Wang". E! News. 2 October 2013.
- "Vera Wang honored for lifetime achievement". The Columbus Dispatch. 5 June 2013.
- cfda.com Vera Wang
- Vera Wang – Designer Fashion Label Biography New York Magazine. Retrieved October 20, 2009.
- "Vera Wang Fragrances". VeraWangFragrances.com. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "White by Vera Wang launches at David's Bridal". Davidsbridal.com. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- "Pink Collection by Audrey Hepburn". Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- PR Newswire. PR Newswire http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mens-wearhouse-partners-with-vera-wang-to-launch-black-by-vera-wang-135645733.html. Retrieved 2015-05-18. Missing or empty
- Lee, Rachel (29 June 2012). "Vera Wang opens 1st Asia flagship in Seoul". Korea Times. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- New York Times: "Vera Wang Wed To Arthur Becker" June 23, 1989
- "Vera Wang". google.com.
- "Vera Wang, Arthur Becker Separate After 23 Years Of Marriage". Huffington Post. July 11, 2012. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- Amy Sohn. Sex and the City: Kiss and Tell.
- "Bride Wars Wedding Style". Brides.
- "Vera Wang bridesmaid dresses from Gossip Girl's royal wedding go on sale (but did Blair snap up all the blush pink ones?)". Mail Online.
- "Revenge First Look: Victoria Grayson's Vera Wang Wedding Dress – InStyle.com". InStyle.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vera Wang.|