Veracruz Mexico Temple
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Veracruz Mexico Temple|
|Dedication||9 July 2000
Thomas S. Monson
|Site||3.39 acres (1.4 hectares)|
|Floor area||10,700 sq ft (990 m2)|
|Height||71 ft (22 m)|
|Preceded by||Mérida Mexico Temple|
|Followed by||Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The LDS Church announced on April 14, 1999 that a temple would be built near the Mexican port city of Veracruz, Veracruz. The Veracruz temple, located in the adjacent city of Boca del Río some 10 km south of downtown Veracruz, is one of twelve LDS temples in Mexico. Previously, local members had to travel to the Mesa Arizona Temple in the United States.
The first Mormon missionaries arrived in Veracruz in 1955. The first meetinghouse was built in 1961. At the dedication of the meetinghouse nearly 700 people were in attendance even though the meetinghouse would serve not quite 400. After the dedication of the meetinghouse the missionary work in the area grew rapidly.
A groundbreaking ceremony and site dedication for the Veracruz México Temple were held on May 29, 1999, with Carl B. Pratt, of the Seventy, presiding. Around 600 people attended the ceremony. The temple site is 3.39 acres (1.37 ha), which includes a meetinghouse. The temple was open for tours to the public from June 26 through July 1, 2000. More than 10,000 people toured the temple during this time.
Thomas S. Monson, of the church's First Presidency, dedicated the Veracruz temple on July 9, 2000. Four sessions were held and more than 5,000 members attended. The temple serves nine stakes, two districts, and two branches in the area.
The Veracruz México Temple has a total of 10,700 square feet (990 m2), two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Mexico
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2010)|
- "Veracruz Mexico: 'May Thy work grow and strengthen'", Church News, July 15, 2000
- "Facts and figures: Veracruz Mexico Temple", Church News, July 15, 2000
- "Dedication dates announced for temples in Mexico, U.S.", Church News, May 20, 2000
- Swensen, Jason (July 15, 2000), "Temple reflects generosity, beauty of Veracruz saints", Church News